Are there any Laundromats In Marrakech???

I have been in Marrakech for less than a week and I unable to do my washing.

The hotel is charging 75-100 dirham which is overly priced.
The hotel staffmember said there are no Laundromat outlets in Marrakech.

Is this true?
If this is not true, what is the nearest Laundromat around Jamaa El Fna?

There are laundry services all over the city. They are called "pressers" here in Morocco. These are not laundromats in the sense that you maybe are used to using, but they may be cheaper than the service at a hotel. They are set up more like a dry cleaner service and they will do dry cleaning too if you specify it.

The prices are not always set, so do not be surprised if they charge a westerner a little more than a local. As with everything it pays to negotiate if you feel you are being treated unfair. But, before you quibble over pennies, PLEASE do remember that some woman maybe on a hot roof or a back room washing your clothing by hand in a tub with a washboard while you are on vacation. If you do go out of your hotel for this service, Please remember this is the only way many people here are able to earn a living and are trying to support a large extended family on what many in the west regard as pocket change.

I hope you enjoy your stay in my adopted home. Please patronize the locals as much as you can.

Thanks for the insight and both replies are of great help.

Nebraska Girl
Why do you have to patronize the locals? :-)
Moroccans in general are very friendly people after living in Europe for more than 20 years I can hold my head high and be proud of the locals in Morocco. I remember in Paris/London people were refusing even to give me direction.
I hope that you are enjoying your staying in Morocco.

Zouhairuk,,

The term "Patronize" has a couple of meanings.  Here, Nebraska Girl is using it in the sense of "to use the services of" or "to support financiallly (by hiring)."  In this sense, it is a good thing.  She is advising people to direct their money towards the local economy and local service providers, as a way of supporting Marrakesh and its people.

I think you may be confusing it with the other sense of "patronize" which is more negative:  "to have an arrogant, condescending, or paternalistic attitude towards" someone or something.

I just wanted to clarify.  Thank you, Nebraska Girl, for your help.  I'm in the process of adopting Marrakesh as my new home, too, but there is a lot to learn about it (or any new culture and environment.)  I'm glad to have the benefit of your--and others'--tips and advice.

Jen

JenB
Thank you for clarifying this definition of patronize for me, it never occurred to me that someone might perceive that I was suggesting they treat anyone poorly. I did mean that people should try to buy local good and services when ever you can where ever you go.

Please support our local economy when you are visiting us in Marrakech or anywhere in Morocco.

there are no laundomats in Marrakech,but you can take all your clothes to any cleaner they are fairly cheap.i lived there for 6 years and that what i did (and when i said all your clothes ..i meant all including underwear lol.

Nebraska Girl and JenB
Sorry to misunderstood, no hard feeling hope you are both enjoying life in Marrakech :-)

Hi Usersimo is totally right. there is a laundry self service in Marrakech and it's exactly where he describes, near Youm Youm and all taxi drivers will no its, if you follow his instructions. I've been past there and it's called self service.

The laundry shops in Marrakech are charged by piece by piece. One T-shirts 10Dh, one trousers 20Dh, one underwear 10Dh, something like this. I ended up to pay 100Dh at the shop and I thought it is very expensive.

Also you can order to the hotel woman where you stay. They don't have price list and always say "as you like it". When I say "how about total 50DH?" but their face impression is not happy and eventually I paid 20Dh more as tips. I prefer there are the price list so I can pay without any hesitation.

There are only one Laundry shop in Marrakech who charge by weight. 2kg for 20Dh only. Good service and finish within a day if you bring in the sunny morning. Lost in Marrakech, the name of laundry shop. 5 T-shirts, 10 pair of socks, 6 sets of underwear, 1 jeans cost 20Dh (2 euro) for me. Good deal.

Hi,
There is a laundromat in Marrakech.
The name of the laundromat is Lavmatik and the website is: Lavmatik.eu
The employee of the laundry  takes care of washing, drying and folding at the reasonable price.