Moving to Morocco at the end of the year.

Hi everyone and anyone,

My name is Jemma, 25yrs old, British. I'm moving to Morocco with my partner at the end of the year. I am an experienced expat but a new country always bring new challenges. My partner is French/Moroccan and much of his family is in Casablanca so I will have people who know how to get things done...if you know what I mean. Unfortunately there are something that they can't really help me with.

I have a few questions so if anyone can offer me advice, it will be appreciated.

1) Visa or residency permit.
- If I'm moving to morocco how does this work? Do I need to get a residency before moving or do I do that there?
- What paper work do I need to get a residency or long term visa?
- Me and my partner are not yet married will this cause any problems for visa, paper work etc?

2) Shipping
- Can anyone suggest a company for us to use? we will be moving from Paris to Casablanca.
-Has any one had issues with customs? specially for electronic items and fragile goods.

3) Employment
- I'm self employed. Is anyone else in this situation?

4) Friends
- I have spent the last 2 years in Paris and I haven't had my own group of friends, I was just integrated into my partners group. I'm not making this mistake again. So if anyone else is moving to Morocco or already lives there let me know and we can exchange contact details :)

I would love to get in contact with someone who has already made the move to Morocco so I can ask them all my questions and find out how they are enjoying life. It would be nice to have someone to show me around when we arrive and give me advice on the day to day stuff like best place for groceries, which gym is nice, which salons are nice etc.

I am in the process of opening my own little business. it's called a license or paitent or something
it's pretty straightforward. you need passport, birth certificate a name for the activity (optional) and ...and... i think that's it. my accountant had me sign to agree to use his office for the business but if you wanna write off a portion of your rent, just bring a copy of your registered "contrat du bail" and say you are running it from home.
your best bet is to find a friendly tax advisor to do all this for you.
once you have opened license, you can apply for permanent residency as a foreign investor.

if you live in Morocco you are probably gonna have to pay tax here anyway so this is a necessary step.

i think there is a big expat group here. google internations.
William

Hello Jemma.

Welcome to Expat.com!

Here is our shipping partner to Casablanca. It can help. :)

Wish you good luck in your project,
Aurélie

Hi Jemm.
you can find answers to all papers stuff if you go the moroccan embacy in Paris.
about shipping, if you want shipping for the lowest price, you can contact those renault traffic guys that go from paris to casablanca... this may look strange, but their service is reliable.

about friends, you speak french, so finding new friends here will be really easy.. I spent some time in Paris too, trust me, it's really hard to make friends there comparing to morocco.

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]