Home security worries

my self and my partner are looking at buying a property in and around the Veliko Turnovo area, but would only been looking at being there for around 6months of the year (for the good weather), we are worried about leaving the property empty for the other 6months as we have read lot about housing being broken into and stripped of everything including windows. does anyone have any idea how we would be able to prevent this, is there any security any one can suggest or know of any company's that can keep an eye on or look after the property, as the last thing we want is to come back after 6 months and the place be empty. any suggestions would be much appreciated. thanks

Hello Johnliz and welcome to Expat.com!

Hope that other members will soon share their experience with you.;)

Harmonie.

Hi,
Here are some useful tips:
1. Install metal fences at the door entrances and lower windows, in this way gypsies will not be able to break in easily.
2. Hire s.o. to take care of the garden, while you are away, the house will look like s.o. is living in it at the moment.
3. Install an alarm system. The Police also offers such a service (SOT) and they will come to check every time the alarm goes on, but it costs more.
4. Neighbours can also help.

don't let the locals know you have a lot of nice stuff. Be careful who you let in your house.

There are security firms in VT, if you have electricity on you could have a home security alarm fitted, there are alarms that you can set up to your mobile phone wherever you are in the world alerting you of break ins, also the alarm can be set up to the local police to notify of any breach of security, how plausible this is to actually achieve I would not know, but it is an option, otherwise put heavy chains on gates, window locks on, and hope all is OK things will get stolen from any country if property is left as an opportunity? 
Regards Steve.

Hi Steve Mny thx 4 yr  reply but I can't find these companys on line - kind rgds

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Free advertising is not allowed on the forum. Please register your services in the business directory.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi... all of the above suggestions are good i have motion detection cctv in my property as well. But please don't believe it is only gypsies that will break into your house as Kristiann suggests.. If you went visiting the local prisons you will find a few non gypsies in there.. still amazes me that some people think like that..

A couple of Bulgarians that I have been speaking to about our upcoming move to Bulgaria have suggested that we go for SOT once we have bought a house so we will be looking into following their advice. It seems daft not too after they are being so helpful.

Solar powered electric fence.

Definitely don't believe it is only one ethnicity that steals or breaks into homes. Or one age. Even that sweet little old guy living next to you might turn out to be not so innocent when you are gone throughout the year. Just this morning I saw an old man and woman (Bulgarian ethnicity, not Roma,
as that is apparently important) filling up bags of building materials from the park being built behind my apartment-- near the center of town, in broad daylight. They loaded up two bags of sand and paving stones and then took off. (That being said, I have had pretty much no crime against me in my 7 years here, so all in all, Buglaria is a pretty safe space in my experience. Still, if you won't be in the country, security is definitely a must.)