Living in Mauritius

Hi Guys, I have not yet received reply for my doubts.

Thanks

Terence

Pls let me know whether knowledge of English is enough to live and work in Mauritius (I have no knowledge of French or Creole). Thank you.

terence wrote:

Can some one give me a link to all major travel agencies in MRU so that I can e-mail my CV's.

the yellow pages can help: http://www.themyp.com/

terence wrote:

Secondly I case I do not find a job in this 2 months, I plan to apply for job as self employed. I will not leave my secure job in Dubai, but can I register as a company and run that business from Dubai. There are a lot of people travelling from Dubai to MRU, I could make them use my booking engine\web site. Once it is established I could move there. Is is possible to apply for that kind of occupational permit and live out of Mauritus till my business in established.

This is quite unusual ... I think you'll have to live here to work as a self employed. I don't think you can register an activity and live somewhere else. Please contact the BOI for confirmation

Vav, almost everybody speaks english in Mauritius (school programs are in english).

Thanks for the update, I am still trying to gather more information. For all you guys already there are surely lucky. I have travelled to more than 30 countries so far and I have not seen any country so beautiful and people so friendly and helpful as Mauritius. I am still trying hard looking at all possibilities of moving there and I hope my dreams of moving there come true.

Hi, I am civil engineering technologist, with 35 years expiriance, 20 years in AUTOCAD and LDD in Canada. Can anyone give me job connection, since I plan to relocate to Mauritius?
Thanks

Jelena

Hi Julien. I am reading a lot about life in Mauritius, and, as far as I see, you give very comprehensive answers to many questions that might appear. Thank you. Can you say that the country is dynamic?
I do realize it is very different from Europe and even Asia, but do you see positive changes over time (lifestyle, economy etc.)?
Thanks.
Vahag

vav > everything is not perfect indeed but these are my responses to your questions : yes & yes :)

My opinion about Mauritus, definately a paradise, not perfect, not a concrete jungle like other major cities around the world and it is a hi-tech village.

it is a hi-tech village

It would like to become an hi-tech village, but there is still a lot of things to do to reach that objective (BTW, this is why I am in Mauritius ... I mean I am a web entrepreneur)

BTW, this is why I am in Mauritius ... I mean I am a web entrepreneur.

I think you are the right person to meet when I come there. I have written to BOI asking if it is possible to register a company and run it from outside MRU. I am still waiting for their reply. If it is positive then we will talk business or you can guide me to someone who can deliver. I already have a concept in mind for a successful business.

Hi,
I have been offered a job in mauritius as Business Analyst, They offered me $10,000 .
I am married and have 1 kid "7yrs.". 
I need to know is that salary is convenient to have a good house "3 bedrooms,2 toilets", car,   private education for my kid, food and other and some savings.

Thank you for your help and support.

per month (wow), per year (not enough)?

Have you read the other topics? you'll find all the answers to your questions

Hi Julien , u seems to be a great helper to all the members here , i would like to ask u smth as i want to relocate to mauritius , i have found a mauri girl and i wud like to go n meet her , and if i like the place i might stay there for long term :)
can u help me whom i have to call and ask if i can travel there cuz im from Kosovo and Mauritius didnt accept us yet as a Country , i used to work in a cyber caffe for 3 years but i only got a high school dimploma , wud it be hard to find a job there ? i will study for higher degree cuz i have heard that technology is goin pretty well there but can i cover the spends with a simple job if i can find any !!! and one more Q ? if i marry the mauri gal will i get mauri documents  ?

thank you in advance

You will find a job here only if you have specific skills, because its more expensive to hire a foreigner (minimum legal pay for a foreigner: 30 000 rs). The average local pay is 10 000 rs. I don't think you'll get a foreigner's salary to work in a cyber cafe

You're already thinking about marriage before even meeting the girl? isn't it a bit risky?

Julien wrote:

You will find a job here only if you have specific skills, because its more expensive to hire a foreigner (minimum legal pay for a foreigner: 30 000 rs). The average local pay is 10 000 rs. I don't think you'll get a foreigner's salary to work in a cyber cafe

You're already thinking about marriage before even meeting the girl? isn't it a bit risky?

Specific skills ? what abt manual labor :D hehehe  is that a skill !!!  im kiddin

i will marry her if we like each other after we meet , otherwise i will come back home and continue workin here at cyber cafe ...

thanks for the info  :)

Hi Julien,
I've been checking all your helpful notes to one who wish to come to Mauritius.. great!
I'm an Indian. My company in dubai planning to start a branch over there and i'm invited! My boss explained that even i work in MU, my visa will be valid in UAE. means, i still have residence visa in UAE. in that case, what visa status do i get in MU? pls advise

Professional as you'll be an employee .. regarding your residence visa in UAE, no idea

Hi, Julien.
Thank u for your previous response.
As said before i had an offer to Mauritius, and they said to me it is in a place called Grand Bay.

Can u tell me about this place, and whether the above conversations and prices of accommodation, car and cost of living differs?

Please read the other topics, I've already answered to these questions ;)

Just for info for fellow forum members. I had asked an management agency  if I can register as self employed , resgister a company under my name and run a business outside MRU, and their reply was that it is possible.

Isn't there any specific conditions?

Hi Julien

My daughter and son-in-law have moved to Mauritius and have started a business over there. It's tough and my daughter is now expecting – which is fantastic, however, I am worried about medical insurance and want to help pay towards the insurance from the UK.

Please would you give me any information on Medical Insurances in Mauritius. When I lived in South Africa we paid towards medical aid and the companies used to contribute, however, as I mentioned my daughter and son-in-law are self-employed. Furthermore, my daughter may need a Ceasaerian birth.

Thank you for the great news and advice you put on the site. I have found it invaluable.

Angie, you should have a look to this page: expat health insurance Mauritius

You should ask for a quote or call them and mention "Expat.com" ;)

Hi Julien,
u seems to be a great helper to all the members here, and i have read all the previous pages.
I have two main questions:
1: Grand Bay, is it a city center kind of life or a beach or what? and what about the housing and accommodation.
2: My parents, wife and  my son is coming with me. My parents are over 60 yrs. old what kind of visa they need to get, and can they live with me. Can i rent for them a separate apartment?
Are there hospitals in Grand Bay?
Thank you for your usual help and support.

1. Grand bay is a city with a beach. You can check the map here: https://www.expat.com/en/directory/africa/mauritius/

2. they can ask an occupation permit as retired person. You can rent as many flats/houses as you want no problem

3. there is two private clinics in G Bay

hope this helps ;)

Thank you for your usual help & support.
I will come there soon, if you allow me to contact you then.

Thank you again. :)

Julien wrote:

Isn't there any specific conditions?

This the e-mail I got from BOI for my query

Dear Mr. Terence

We thank you for your interest in setting up your business in Mauritius.

You should register your business at the Companies Division. You will be issued with a business registration card. As mentioned earlier on you may apply for an Occupation Permit as an Investor or Self-employed.

To qualify as an Investor, the proposed business activity should generate an annual turn over exceeding MUR 3 Million.
To qualify as a Self-employed, the proposed business activity should generate a gross income exceeding MUR 600 000 annually.

The Occupation Permit allows you to Work and Live in Mauritius.

As long as your business is contributing to the Mauritian Economy you are allowed to run your business.

I would advise you to check with the Registrar of Business if you can operate from abroad without having to apply for an Occupation permit.

Web Link: http://industry.gov.mu/compdiv

Regards,

Advisory Centre

Work and Live Department

Board of Investment.

I doesn't say you can work from abroad ... I would double check, mentioning that you wouldn't be a mauritius resident

Hi Julien,
referring to the post of Terence, I have a great doubt, too.
I've written to BOI en email as Terence did and they answered to me that for my business (inernet cafè) we will register as investor. That means that the annual turnover must be for us (we are two, me and my fiance) of 6 milion MUR. It is a big big turnover for an internet cafè!!! IT will be impossible to reach it, most in the first year!!! What happens if the company doesn't meet this standard? They make you pack everything and come back home???A friend of us said that is a mauritian law but in 10 years he lives in Mauritius he has not seen anybody coming back home for this reason.
What have I to beleive???
And even we remain there for 3 years, after that to have the permanent residence permit (for 10 years) the annual turnover is even higher!!!!
What do you think about this??
Thanks
Rain

Wasn't it 3 millions ? per year, cumulated for the 3 first years it makes 9 millions?

I am pretty sure it's 3M RS or it changed 2 weeks ago :/

I heard (doesn't mean I am sure, as I am not the BOI) that if you don't reach the results after 3 years, they give you another 3 years trial. Then they might cancel your business registration card (once again, I don't certify this)

Yes, is 3 milions MURs each investor, but as we are 2 it would be 6 milions per year.
We could just run the business for 1 person and the other one get the permit as dependant, but the income is very very high!!!!
Maybe my fiancè could register as professional, then it will be 600 000 per year...he works as coder and web designer...but no more internet cafè then.:(
Rain

registering as a dependant might be the solution. By the way, sorry to tell you that but I think 3 millions RS is HUGE for a cyber café

How much in USD would be required to invest in a cyber cafe

Yes Julien, we know that an internet cafè wo't meet the target...but as self employed...how can he'll be able to work?? He could work as coder and web designer but it'll be difficult have clients, most the first year...I'm really confused about this situation...anyway we'll be in Mauritius soon so we'll talk to BOI and with someone else (maybe someone that started a business as self employed or investor...let's see...).
Terence:we were thinking to invest about 15-20.000 Euros, to buy pcs, forniture, and add the monthly expenses (renting the place, ADSl etc).
Rain

Hello,

I might be re-locating to Mauritius in the next couple of months. I still don't have information about the Salary or Benefits. But I am re-searching before I actually start negotiating the contract. I would like to know the security aspect and the hygine aspect. In addition, can you find a nice 1bedroom apartment over looking the sea for a decent price? I heard you can find a good apartment for 500 euro per month in a nice area!
Please advise me!!!

thanks Rain, keep me posted. It will definately help me take a decision based on your experience of starting a business as self employed.

Hi Terence, I'll be back on the 11th of may, I'll keep you posted on my experience.
Hugs,
Rain

rain wrote:

Hi Terence, I'll be back on the 11th of may, I'll keep you posted on my experience.
Hugs,
Rain

All the best. God Bless!!!

Terence

terence wrote:

Just for info for fellow forum members. I had asked an management agency  if I can register as self employed , resgister a company under my name and run a business outside MRU, and their reply was that it is possible.

Sorry I was misinformed. I now got a reply from BOI that a physical office is required in MRU in case I am required to start a business there. Their e-mail as below:

Dear Sir/Madam
Please refer to your mail.
A company needs to have a registered office in Mauritius to which all communications and notices may be addressed and which shall constitute the address for service of legal proeedings on the company.
Plese refer to section 187 of the Companies Act on our website 
H. A. CHAUMUN
Principal Companies Officer
Information & Incorporation Section