Living in Mauritius

How do you guys get all these job offers? Wish I got one. I looked up some Mauritius job sites, but I dont know how to start. I have worked in Finance and Banking for 5 years. Do you think its easy to find a job without actually being in the country?

Id love to move there. Someone should definitely find me with a job :( or I should find someone offering me one.

Hi Julien

30000 MUR is basic salary in Mauritius Right? IS it enuf for a Single person to live in Port Louis??Can he spend a lavish life Veg Food? n all??

Hi Julian and Everybody!
Me and my boyfriend would like to move to Mauritius, we would like to start a new life there. But we have some problem. First of all, we don't speak in English perfect, but we learn it continuosly and I think it isn't a big problem. At present I'm an unemployed, before it I worked as a financial assistant for 5 years and after I worked with computers. My qualification is IT engineer but I haven't worked too much in this, but despite this I have a good knowledge of computers. My boyfriend has been working as a receptionist in a hotel for ten years.
Can you help me? Where and how can we find a job? I think, it's too difficult find a job on the net. We're considering travelling to mauritius for some weeks to looking for employment agencies or companies. All kinds of work interest us.
We're very resolute :par:
I'm 27 and my boyfriend is 28 and we haven't got any children.
Thanks in advance for your helpful!

dest > the main banks here in mauritius: mcb (mauritius commercial bank), hsbc, barclays, banque des mascareignes, afrasia.

vishalchandna > 30k is not the best salary an expatriate can get. Are you single or not?
There are a lot of vegetarians in Mauritius

Hi. Im a South-African who has been living in Ireland for the past 7 years. I cant stand the weather anymore!!!:( I was thinking of moving to Mauritius. Can anyone tell me what the job market is like and how I could go about finding a job. The internet job websites have not given me much insight. Is finding a job first the only way to gain access or are there other options, like immigration?

What's your occupation?

You can get stay here as:
a professional (employee with min pay of 30,000 rs per month),
a self employed (must earn 600,000 rs per year),
an investor (your company must generate 2Millions Rs per year, or is it 3 millions?)
a retiree (I can't remember the conditions)
or you can buy a luxurious villas (1 million USD) and you'll automatically get the residency papers

Hi Julien
We have an offer for job in mauritius port louis. Employers are offering 1,05,000 MUR + 40000 MUR conveyance per month + accomodation + 3000 MUR mobile expenses. Kindly let us know for a family of 3 ,is this sufficient. How much can we save with a decent lifestyle. how costly is fuel (petrol / diesel). how much will it cost to rent a car including driver.

Hi Julien

I agree 30k Mur is too less for an expatriate

I am single and wish to travel n work abraod dats why i have accepted d offer as of now m an architect and n product designer wid 3 yrs of work ex and my edu n work ex shd pay me much better den dis  bt i  really wana cm n i can work for 2 months n show my company my capabilities and den can negotiate for a beter package say 60k Mur do suggest me better julain ur suggestion is very important to me... u have been doign gud work thru this blog... i appricaite ur efforts .. i m 28 n single.... wht else do u sugest me regarding cming down to mauritius and tel me abt is der any possible to share an apartment wid sm1 do u get basic stuff like fridge microwave washing machine in the apartment wht wud be a cost of such an apartment 2 bedrom say...

swapnil > very good package ! I don't know the way you live so I can't tell you how much you're going to spend every month, but this is a very good proposition. About the cost of living, check the forum I think we already spoke about this.

vishalchandna > I can't read you :/ could you please edit your post and rewrite it without "SMS language"?

I see, in this forum everybody got an answer, except me.......
I'm very disappointed........:(:(:(

Hello
I've been reading about the medical requirements for working in Mauritius.  Do these rules apply to everyone who wants to live there, regardless of whether they will work or not?  My husband is a part-time pilot and we are thinking of basing ourselves there as a family and he will commute to his LHR base.  Also, are small children (aged 3 and 5) required to have the chest x-ray?

little_mauu > there is a lot of luxurious hotels here in Mauritius, if your boyfriend accepts responsibilities, he may find a job without any problem ... but if you are motivated, it's important to do whatever you can to find a job. And the very first resource is the internet ;) You should have a look to the Mauritius Yellow pages (http://www.google.com/search?q=mauritiu … =firefox-a) and send your CV to as much hotels as possible

You can also try DCDM recruitment: http://dcdm-rs.com/

Myjob.mu

Do you speak a little bit French? Almost everybody speaks english & french here

Thanks Julien. I am working as an events manager. Would that fall under the "professional" criteria? How much is 30,000 rp in Euro?

littlegreenrock > the rules changed and it is now less complicated (less medical examinations); I don't know about  children.

Petmania > professional work permit = you are employed. 30000 rs is the minimum pay you must get, it roughly represents 800 euros

Merci Julien
Your site is great - full of useful info.  We're off to Mauritius on Friday, for 2 weeks, to check it out.  Staying in Trou aux Biches for one week and Pereybere for the other.  My kids are really excited too.  I've been reading the BOI website and still quite confused how we'll work it out, as my husband would continue to work for British Airways, but I'm sure we'll be enlightened while we're there. Take care. Deb

Thank you Julien. You have been a great help. Take care...:)

Thanks Julien for your answer, you're very kind! These webpages are very useful. Unfortunately, I don't speak in French, only in Hungarian, English and a bit German and my boyfriend speaks in Hungarian, English, German and a bit Italian. In Hungary the French language is not too frequent. What do you think? Is it a big problem?

little_mauu > Are you willing to improve your English or to learn a new language, such as Creole or French? That is the real question ;)

Of course, first of all, I want to learn the English perfect and then I'd like to learn another language. English is the most important. I learn it almost every day but isn't easy without help because there is nobody who can help to me. That's the way it is!!! :cool:
I try...I try...I try...
Have I a chance of doing something????

It only depends on you ;)

Hi again Julien,
Here is a pertinent question: 'with the global economic slowdown, how has it affected island living".
We have posted previously on a potential offer to relocate to Mauritius, yet have been slow in receiving the green light to move due to uncertainty in global financial markets.
All things considered, we are hoping for the ok... our house is for sale in SA and that is also proving difficult!
We are still looking at Grand Baie as our preferred destination, is there an estate agent website we could look at for idea's on property rentals?

What kind of property are you looking for? How big ? which facilities?

Hello Julien

Am impressed with your knowledge on Mauritius and even more on your willingness to help everyone.

I am a bachelor, 7 odd yrs work experience and am at present based in India. I have been offered a job in Port Louis. The company has agreed to pay upto $750 for rental and provide me with a "small" car. The salary will be in the range of about 95,000 MUR. I will also be provided a return airfare for self+parents once a year.

What kinda house can I get in $750...am completely clueless on Mauritius :-)

I understand that I will have to pay 15% tax in Mauritius. Is this a flat % rate or staggered based on the income slab?

Assuming a comfortable lifestyle and and perhaps partying over the week-ends etc (a regular bachelor lifestyle). ... how much at an average can I expect my expenditure to be....even a range would be helpful.

I need to revert on the offer within the next couple of days.

Would appreciate if you could please help me out with this asap.

Thanks & Cheers

AlexAlexander > that's a good offer. The amount they give you for your rent and car will have to be declared so you'll pay taxe on that as well.

Are you coming alone or not? Alone, you won't spend more than 30000 rs per month as you've already got a house + car.

Thanks Julien. Much appreciated.

Is it a common practice for companies to take care of the tax component as well (the 15% to be paid)?

Cheers

yes it is ... as an employee, you only have to fill a global declaration at the end of the year

Thanks Julien. To avoid ambiguity....does this mean that the comapny will pay taxes (15%) on my behalf....over and above the salary being paid to me?

Regards

Yes they'll pay for you. Maybe you should ask your employer?

Julien, your posts are very informative! Could I request you to guide me. I'm a self employed software professional. Does the requirement for an occupational permit require one to have earned MUR 600,000 per year already in the last financial year or does one have to project such an income after commencing work in Mauritius in the first year of operations? Is that gross income or after tax? Thanks!

Welcome patrick4u,

you must plan to get 600,000 gross income ;)

Hope this helps,

Julien

Thanks Julien. That's good to know. :)

Julien,

Thanks for your informative posts. I learnt quite a bit about Mauritius from your board.

In regards to Mauritius immigration law, I read somewhere on the net that Mauritius government will unveil a clearly-defined 'citizenship track' for occupation permit holders and permanent residents in future.
From what I have read, the citizenship process is currently left solely to the discretion of the government.
Do you have any info on this?

Thanks,
Hasib

Hi Julien

I am tempted to look for jobs in Mauritius. I work in construction and wonder how the industry is doing over there and if you are aware of any companies that are present in the area??

Thanks so much

Evie

Hasib, sorry I don't understand your question. What kind of response do you expect?

Evie, there are plenty of companies, you should have a look to the yellow pages : http://www.themyp.com/

@Purbopathik

Citizenship is not easy to acquire in Mauritius.

You have to have lived in Mauritius for at least 5 years before you can apply for citizenship and you are right - it is granted or refused at the sole discretion of the Prime Minister.

You can apply for Permanent Residence after a stay of 3 years on an Occupation Permit. This will give you 10 years, and will allow you to purchase property in Mauritius.

Please bear in mind that the citizenship application process can take a very long time. In some cases citizenship can be obtained in as little as 6 months, but I've heard of cases of the application taking up to 7 or 8 YEARS.

Excellent forum. I too have an question. I was last year in Mauritius but only for 10 days. I plan to move there with my family. I have applied thru myjob but no reply so far but I am still trying. I am a finance person working in a travel agency in Dubai. Can some one give me a link to all major travel agencies in MRU so that I can e-mail my CV's. I have tried thru google but did not find much info. Secondly I case I do not find a job in this 2 months, I plan to apply for job as self employed. I will not leave my secure job in Dubai, but can I register as a company and run that business from Dubai. There are a lot of people travelling from Dubai to MRU, I could make them use my booking engine\web site. Once it is established I could move there. Is is possible to apply for that kind of occupational permit and live out of Mauritus till my business in established.

Hi Julien, I am thinking of working/living in Mauritius and, as you have years of first-hand experience of doing so as a foreigner there, pls give me some guidance on long-term perspectives of making it home. Thanks.

A foreigner only needs 30,000 rs to get an occupation permit (3 years, and you can renew it several times). Fortunately you don't necessarily have to earn USD 4,400 to live in Mauritius.

Have you already found a job?

Thanks Julien for the info. I haven't even applied yet, but think of it seriously. As far as I got from your messages, you are in Mauritius for quite a long time. Have you seen the quality of life in the country progressing much throughout that time? Does the current economic crisis affect the country much? Thanks.

Is knowledge of English enough to live in Mauritius?