Can you give a person interested in retiring to Thailand information?

I am interested in retiring to Thailand. Can other retirees there give me ideas on the best places to live as to cost of living, rent etc. How about the cost of health insurance? In particular, what about cities and towns where English is spoken so that I can live there and communicate about buying food,travelling etc

Thanks!

I strongly suggest you visit Thailand unless you have already made a few trips.  Despite Pattaya's reputation I feel it is the most foreign friendly town to live if you do not speak Thai language.

When it comes to cost that will depend on your lifestyle.  I think a person needs a minimum of 60,000 baht a month to have a comfortable life style although many live here for far less. If you live in a rural area then cost will be less than larger town or city but you might be bored out of your mind and find it more difficult to communicate.

Keep in mind that cost are rising and will continue upward in the future.

You might check out thaivisa.com---search your questions, and scan their list of forums, and post your questions if needed.  And good to remember, change is constant here in Thailand.

Thanks Laughing Brook. I am 67 and will probably be 68 by the time I get there. What health insurance do you recommend? I need a plan that is affordable at 70 and beyond.

Thanks

Tom

I have no personal insurance experience to report.  There are reports about international health insurance available thru www.liveandinvestoverseas.com.  Simon Black in his free Sovereign Man subscription has talked about this topic a few times.
     There are expats in Thailand who simply pay as they go, as the prices tend to be low here.  I do find,however, that I have to search for a good dentist or dermatologist, etc, but when I finally find one, they are very good.  Pinned at the Chiang Mai forum of www.thaivisa.com is a list of suggested doctors for different specialties, courtesy of the local expat community here, just for an example. So much more could be said, but easier orally.
       If one can get beyond the collective consciousness with its expectations, perhaps one can visualize, create, for oneself (and others), good health and even a comfortable exit.
        PS-BUPA is a company involved.
        To get back to where to live, you may have noticed on www.thaivisa.com, on the left hand side, a list of towns for which there are forums, because they have a significant expat population.  In Isaan, which is a word for the Northeast, Udon Thani and Ubon Ratchatani have many expats.  Yet there are many considerations as to locale-air purity, seaside, urban vs rural, climate,your motivation in coming, etc.

To continue with health insurance:
www.bupa.com.
Thaivisa has its own insurance program.
The premium subscription to SovereignMan has a focus in one of its back April issues on health insurance (abroad).

It depends on which style you would like to live after retirement. If you like relaxing life in mountain view and temperature is quite fresh, i recommend you to stay in Chiangrai province. There is airport too. So, it's one of province where many foreigners stay after retirement.

I've been living in Chiang Mai since '95, and I think it's a wonderful city!

~
I have been very please with BUPA; and because I joined before turned, I'm covered for life.

I believe if you join BUPA after 60, you are covered until age 65.

I don't know the names of the companies, but I know you can get medical insurance here, POST 65.

~
If you have any specific questions about Chiang Mai/Thailand you can drop me a line.

khup khum krup,
jon