Relocating to Belize? Any advice?

Hi, I'm looking to come to Belize for the health benefits. I am disabled and on SS, but I'm only 45. How is the southern part of the country as far as costs? I cannot buy at this time, but looking to rent a place close to the beach. Also, I heard they were going to build a cruise ship dock down in the Placentia area. Does anyone know oif this is still in the works? I want to pull the trigger by fall. Any input would be great!

2dogsnme wrote:

Hi, I'm looking to come to Belize for the health benefits. I am disabled and on SS, but I'm only 45. How is the southern part of the country as far as costs? I cannot buy at this time, but looking to rent a place close to the beach. Also, I heard they were going to build a cruise ship dock down in the Placentia area. Does anyone know oif this is still in the works? I want to pull the trigger by fall. Any input would be great!

Feel free to email me at macarenarose@gmail.com

Yes, i have thoughts to share for sure !

I work for a Belizean organization ( indigenous Maya and Garifuna) and live there for a few months a year... but I woulkd not want to live there permanently: too uncomfortable, unles you are staying in a very good resort, which is fine for visiting. I love that Belize is so multiethnic and multicultural and that the people are so welcoming. Love Maya villages in Toledo, love the cayes and the barrier reef. Hate what government of Belize is doing to this country, gfiving away rights to extract oil in national parks, even on the atolls. They must be increadibly corrupted, endangering the tourism income for some oil money that may destroy the rain forest, wetland and the barrier reef. Imagine the effct of a potential oil spill?

Hey i want to copme to Belize and Just rome around for about 3 months and see how it is there when i go through Customes at the Airport will they stamp my passport with a visa or what is the deal thats all i can think of for now any and all help is Appreciated. Thanks:   
                    David1946

Hello David,
Sounds like a great plan to come to Belize and see if Belize is for you.  They do stamp your passport, and you have to go every 30 days to immigration to have it stamped again--for 25USD.

I have been here for almost 5 years,I love it, and have never looked back.

Please write to me with your questions.
leerainforest@gmail.com

Lee

Yes, I've done so.  My husband and I just moved here a month ago.  We're on the island of Ambergris Caye in San Pedro Town.

I'll send you a "friend" request and then we can talk in private, but why don't you let me know some more details about what your goals are, why you want to come here, and any research you've done already that you have questions on.

I will tell you it's quite beautiful here on the island, but there are challenges living in a new country, of course!

Sharon

My question is about Abergris Caye. I know the mode of transportation is golf carts. However if you want to go to the mainland then what do you do for transportation. Do you rent a car, or keep your car in storage, as I understand you can not get a car to the island. Or do most people just stay on the island ?

desertlover,

Many expats on Ambergris Caye do have golf carts, but you can get to Belize City or other places on the mainland by either a puddle-jumper flight (Tropic Air or Maya Island Air) or a ferry.  The flight is more expensive but quicker, obviously. 

We prefer bicycles and don't have a cart.  :D

Emily

Emily

Thanks for your response. However what I was asking was if anyone on Ambergris Caye own cars, and if so, do they keep them in storage on the mainland ? Or just what do you do if you go to the mainland, rent a car ? Or does everyone just stay on the island and never leave ?

Ken

Ken,

People leave the island all the time by the methods I mentioned.  They normally use a trusted taxi driver over in Belize City to get around, if just traveling in the city for shopping or whatever.  If going farther, I have heard of people renting cars. 

I don't know of anyone storing a car on the mainland, but that's not to say it's never done.

Hopefully someone with more experience than me will help, but this isn't a very busy forum.  You might try posting on ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php, if you haven't already.  That one gets more traffic.

Cheers,
Emily