Relocating to Belize? Any advice?

I'm seriously considering moving to Belize for its various benefits.  Has anyone here done so already?  If you have any advice for the newbie there, please post your thoughts.

We're considering the same! My partner and I are going to San Pedro for a week in Feb '08 to check things out. I'd love to share experiences. Have you considered where in Belize you would live?

I have gotten negative feedback about living in Belize in terms of crime in certain areas.Belize is one of those countries that really requires for you to do your homework in terms of WHERE to live is the MOST important factor.

I woud go to amazon.com and buy several books on retirement in Belize and get some feedback before moving there.

I've heard some negative things regarding crime in Belize City. The rest of the country seems relatively safe, with property crimes being most prevalent. For example, I'm told people who own property, but don't live there year-round need to make sure someone is living in or watching their house or it will be broken into. But I don't think that's unlike most areas.

Hi Bloggers, we moved to Belize 3 years ago. We have not had any crime incidents at all. We moved here, rented while our home was being built, and have been in our home for a year now.  what Mike said is true, if you leave your home for extended periods of time with no one there, it may get broken into, and like he said,that is any place.  We love it here, we live in Cayo, San Ignacio  to be exact, and it is grand!! The expats that live here, and there are a lot, are good slow living folk that enjoy no drama;)  If anyone wants more information, or would like to come to visit, please get in touch with me, we would be more than happy to show you around and introduce you to other expats in the area.

I'm thinking of relocating to Belize and am wondering how I will get some necessary medications there. I've talked to my mail order pharmacy here in the US and they will not ship to Belize due to having to deal with customs.

The main meds I need are Humira and Altace. Could anyone there tell me if a doctor in Belize can prescribe them or failing that how do customs work and what would be the charges and customs delays. The Humira has to be sent in a temperature controlled box between 37F and 47F so if it's gets held up in customs could get ruined. It's $700 a shot here, so too expensive to waste!

If you can put me in touch with a doctor or pharmacy who could answer these questions by email it would be great.

Thanks in advance for any help

Hi Sunandsandseeker, I had an initial issue with medications, but found that if you need something, one of the pharmacies will get it for you--if it is not pain medication.  That is difficult to get.  You may check with Belize Medical associates in Belize City or Luma Luz Hospital in San Ignacio.  They even changed my blood pressure medication.  1/4 as costly, and works just as well, if not better.  If you have any questions, or if I can be of farther assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.  My email is [email protected]

Happy Holiday Season to ALL
Lee

I've just started doing my homework. I have traveled to several countries over the years.  I just bought a lot in Waterwide at Flowers Bank (?).   Yes it is sight unseen, but I usually know what I am doing.  So if anyone knows of this development let me know.  If you have an adventuresome spirit, then go for it.  When living in any country expect the unexpected and don't be an "ugly american".  Do your research on property, banking, immigration and health issues. As far as Belize City, upon reading on another blog site, it is my understanding that the crime is beng caused by wannabe Rastas from other Central American counties.  Make sure that you could be comfortable in the climate.  I live in the Florida Keys where it is extremely humid and hot.  I often here complaints from people who did not realize this when they moved here and hate it.

hello i just read your post about moving to Belize i have been asked that several times and the best advice i could possibly give anyone is to come and stay 6 months to a year before you sell everything to move here or before you buy anything.  it takes at least that long to decide if you are for Belize or not.  now some come and like it instantly and would not leave for the world then there are many others who come here and wonder what the heck they have done. for one thing i can tell you Belize is not that inexpensive as they claim. in fact it is quite expensive to live here unless you live like a Belizean which many people do.  it all depends on the type of person you are and you won't really find that out until you get here and really experience it for yourself.  it is full of surprises.  So the best of luck to you but come check it out first before doing anything permanent.  the rent is inexpensive if you look around there are a lot of gringos here who go home during the summer months and rent their place out for not much money at all compared to the states. so it is possible to rent here for not much and then you can stay and really experience Belize before you buy and get stuck on something you wished you didn't.

Hello,
Exciting to hear that you are considering moving to Belize.  We moved to Belize 5 years ago, and have never looked back.  We have found that the people of Belize are some of the most accomadating people in the world.

We moved here, have built a home and a guest house, and it was all a good experience.

If you consider moving, please get in touch with me at [email protected].  I would be honored to answer any questions that you may have.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.  Here is another email address also.  [email protected].

Lee

You surely should come and rent for a year and see how you like it before you invest any money.  As during that time I am sure you will get to know more people who can help you with buying and not be taken so quickly by developers.  There is a lot to learn when in Belize for some it comes quickly and others it takes longer, learning their laws their ways and getting used to living the Belizean life.  Good luck.

I agree with you shiprecked.  I did not do it that way, but it is very good advise.  With all of the whoopla about 2012, and Belize being the place to be, I am still glad we are here.
Good Luck to all who believe in Belize.:/

What do you mean about "whoopla about 2012 and Belize being the place to be". Could you please explain.

Hi, just that Belize is in the new movie 2012, and many are thinking that Belize is the place to be in 2012.

Thanks for the explanation. I have not seen the movie and did not know that Belize was featured. I hope it does not lead to a mass of people moving there. We liked it because it is so quiet and calm and no McDonalds.

InternationalIcon and others considering a move - Our friend came to visit us here from Canada and she was shocked at how well she felt health wise after being here just one week. Her arthritis pain was non existent, no asthma troubles and she said her nails grew faster than she could imagine.

Tropical climates definitely do some people a world of good. Has helped my head greatly to be away from winter the past 4 years.

Yes, tacogirl, it is amazing to man visitors how well they feel, how good their skin begins to feel, and how much at peace you feel here in Belize.  Many are relocating just for health reasons, both physical and mental.  Relocation to Belize is a good thing.

I agree Lee - moving here has definitely changed my life in a good way and forever. I honestly do not think I would be able to move back to a location with winter any stronger that what we get on Ambergris Caye. Only thing I could do without are the mosquitoes and sand fleas.

Great reading thoughts on Belize but still wondering if there are any jobs there for expats?  Do they all just live off money they saved or retired or what?  I get a little disability and not sure if can still be on it if I moved from Canada.  I don't want the "US lifestyle"  I am mainly raw vegan and thought fruits and veggies would be super cheap but tacogirlblog had me kinda surprised on what she got for those items. 
Also if I was to rent for 6 months or longer, any ideas where?
If I sold my house I may have $50,000 Canadian dollars , would that buy me much (do not want a fixer upper).  I may get more from inheritance but cannot be sure.
thanks for any help!
Lori

groovellaa your best bet is to come and do a scouting trip and see what you see.

Expats can get jobs here but you need to get working papers first it is not always a fast process especially if you do not have someone willing to hire you right away. Also depends on what kind of job as jobs are supposed to go to qualified Belizeans first.

As far as groceries go mainland is much cheaper. Things on Ambergris Caye cost more because it all has to be brought in on a barge to the island.

Thanks so much for reply :D
I just looked up min wage for Belize and got $1.10 US an hour, are most jobs that low?
Are most jobs in the bigger city of Belize City?
One place I looked at staying advised very much against taking the bus so does this mean if cannot walk or bike to a job or shopping, need a car there?

groovellaa

I am not as familiar with Belize city, you can walk or use a bike there but depending on what area you live in car could be useful.

I am not sure the minimum wage here but it is not a lot. I think also wages are directly dependent on the type job you have too.

Not sure about the amount of jobs in Belize City.

Hope you will be able to come check it out first that would help you greatly in planning.

Hi again!
Been looking at ways to get there, will be quite the puddle jumping expedition as I am in middle of nowhere Manitoba but first have to get a passport, my project for this week to start on:)
Just looking at Costa Rica but that seems to be more expensive and need to know Spanish.
Is it really true that person can get by in Belize just on english.  I would love to learn Spanish but doubt will know it by time I visit.

Also curious if don't mind another question, does it get super humid there in summer?  I know it is by the ocean but when I was in Bermuda I found it humid.  I guess hard to describe SUPER humid unless you have lived in Winnipeg which is where I am close to now. 

Not sure if was on your blog or elsewhere but read someone complaining about mosquitoes?  Is that an issue?  I can see why one would need to spend a good year to take in all the seasons to find all this out.  I really don't want to move to another mosquito infested area like I am in now where you cannot even sit outside on a nice summer evening!

Hope to get there for my birthday in Feb, all I can find out is max time is 30 days visit, the gov't of Belize site doesn't say anything about longer stays.  I would miss my dog too much anyway I think!  (another issue, bringing pets there, have 1 dog and 3 cats,,, this all gets overwhelming!!)

You can get by on English in Belize.
Summer can be very humid especially August.

Could have been my blog we definitely have mosquitoes that come along with rainy season - enough that they spray for them at times.

For staying longer that 30 days you go to immigration and get your passport stamped.

I am not sure about the details on bringing pets in but I know it can be done.

there are forums that are good to join for answers like that (seen a post on that exact thing on one of them)

ambergrisvacations.com/forum/index.php

ambergriscaye.com/forum/

belizeforum.com/belize/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm

Hi,
I moved to Belize over 5 years ago. I still love it. If you have any specific questions, please contact me, I would be honored to assist you.  [email protected]
Lee

Hello.!
Maybe we are moving to belize,I have 2 boys and I need information about internacional schools or local private schools.

Argimar Olivares
Venezuela

If you are thinking Ambergris Caye you can check out Island Academy for private school http://www.islandacademy.com/

Thanks, for your imformation..!
How far is Ambergris from Belmopan?

Argimar.

Hi Argimar,
Amberris Caye is an island.  It is about 20 minutes by plane or 1.5 hours by boat from Belize city.  Belmopan is about 1.5 hours from Belize City.

Lee

OHHHHHH.! jaja, Thanks Lee.
If all our plans goes fine.. I will be over there in March,so... and I donŽt know yet in which part of Belize weŽll be staying.
Regards.!

Argimar.

If you rent a phone at the airport, give me a call at 602 2740.  Keep me posted on your plans, and if I can help in any way with arrangements, let me know.
Lee

Hi Lee,
My Name is Rodolfo, Argimar's Husband, I would like to thank you for you help and information about Belize.
We will be moving to Belize the second week of March from Chile where we live now, I think my office is in Belmopan we will appriciate if you could help us informing us with a nice area to rent a house, I work in the oil field for Tucker Energy Services, we will like to live in a quit place and where we could find an International school for the kids.
Thanks again
Argimar and Rodolfo

Hello All,

I'm a new member to the site and wanted to know if there were any entrepreneurs among you. I have a publishing business in the US and I'm considering making the move within the next couple of years (I'm too young to retire so that's not my motivation). Anyone have any comments about what the business climate is like? I'm currently doing my research, using the GOB and Chamber in Belize as a focal point...but it would really help to hear what people in business have to say about the economy.

InternationalIcon wrote:

I'm seriously considering moving to Belize for its various benefits.  Has anyone here done so already?  If you have any advice for the newbie there, please post your thoughts.

I moved to Belize over 6 years ago, love helping others find out how to do so, and why ! Feel free to email me at [email protected]

Smiles, Macarena

Hi Leeaust,

I am bayo from nigeria, i saw your post on the blog and i decided to mail you in respect of my coming to belize.

i need ur advice on coming to belize to study, i am interested in coming for my Mba in galen university in belize. pls tell me about life in belize, getting a job and all other things that can make life easy in belize.

Thanks

I currently reside in Salt Lake City with my wife and our 10 month baby.  We want to move to Belize for the obvious benefits.  My wife has her Ph.D. in material Chemistry and I am finishing mine in Physical Chemistry right now.  I have a dream of owning my own private school.  That is a long story but in short I think with the experience and credentials of myself and my family we can organize an academically aggressive school that is about 50/50 charity and paying students.  We are very humanitarian orientated people but will need to arrange to sustain ourselves while we are there.  Both of us love to teach and I believe we can make ourselves useful to both the expatriate as well as the local people.
This adventure is really just starting to take form and I am not sure where in Belize we would want to live.  We love the mountains and we love the water. 
Are there many expats with children there?
Do any expats have kids in school there?  If so what do you think of it?
Thank you,
Jason Boyle

Jmboyle you might get a better response on this forum

belizeforum.com/belize

They are active there multiple times daily.

I moved to Belize over 6 years ago- feel free to contact me- Smiles to you from Belize !!

i am very happy for giving people true inform on belize. remain bless.

Here is another good link for those considering a move here and want more info on paperwork. Dr. D. L. Lawrence has researched and written The Document Trail – The Unofficial Guide for Living and Working in Belize. tacogirl.com/2009/01/belize-visas/