Studying in Bordeaux

Hi. I'm a student from the United States. Soon I'll be studying in Bordeaux. What's this city like, in your opinion? I've done research but I haven't talked to anybody who actually lives in Bordeaux. What can I expect? Any advice/guidance/tips would be appreciated. This is going to be my first time leaving the USA.

Hi,
I'm a french student in Bordeaux, I'm in this city since 3 years, and it's quite a nice one. There is a lot of students here, so you have all you need to study properly, ans going out as you want.

In which university will you go ? How long will you stay ?

If you have any questions, i'll be glad to answer them.

Thanks for replying!

I'm going to Bordeaux 3, and I'm staying for one year. Right now I have two questions. Are there many international students in Bordeaux? And is the city safe at night?

There is international students in Bordeaux, but I dont realy know how much, it depends of the speciality. I'm at Bordeaux 2 and I know there is something like a foreign club where you can meet other foreign students. Also, if you want to meet english people, there is several pubs where they use to go.

The city is very secure at night. I'm a girl and I'm not afraid to walk in the streets at night. There is lights and poelple  in the street, they are not little darks streets :). I talk about the town center of course, for the rest of the city it's depend of the neighborhood.

Will you stay in students appartement near to Bordeaux 3 or will you stay in the town center ?

Where is the best place for a student to live?

It's depend on what you wanna do. For exemple, if you rather wake up at the last minute and have a short distance between where you live and where you study, it's better to live in student appartment near bordeaux 3. But, if you rather be in the city, were you can easely go out, discover the city, have an access to museums, cinema, theater, shops... It's better in the town center. But it's more expensive there. Also, in students appartments, you're sure to be with others students and there is the "tram", which is the most convenient public transport here, to take you quite quickly to the town center.

I hope I helped, if you don't understand something (because my english isn't the best!) or, if you want more details, don't hasitate to ask.

Your english is very good. I understood all of it and there are only a few small mistakes.

Thank you so much for your help.

You're welcome, It's a pleasure to help and practice my english a little. There is one more thing I didn't thought about earlyer, It's can be harder to find an appartment in the town center because of the assurance asked by the owners. In france, when you rent an appartment, you have to "prove" to the owner that you can pay the rent every month. We usually do that by showing him payslip (or the ones of our parents if we are student). So, I'm not sure of how it's works for foreign people.
But you don't need it if you stay in students appartment. Beside, there is several places were you can find students appartments, maybe there is some closer to the town center.

Merci beaucoup mademoiselle. Vous êtes très gentille. Quand j'étudie en France, j'espère que tout les étudiants sont comme vous.

Hi beastmaster!

As this is the anglophone forum could you please post in English though?

Thanks
Armand