Bonjour! 24 y/o male moving to bordeaux

Bonjour :)

I am a 24 year old male moving to bordeaux from the Uk next june,i will be living with my girlfriend and i have many questions and need much advice so i hope i have come to the right place.

My french is very poor so firstly i will be looking to join a language school( i have heard this is the best way to learn) but i will also need to work..i am happy to work any job aslong as i am being paid haha,i hope to find a job before i move over to bordeaux.(i visit quite often and will be looking around handing my C.V into many bars/pubs etc).I have never done anything like this before it will be a completely new life for me,before i come is there anyone i need to contact,for example how will my taxes work? is there any websites that can assist me with my move?I hope to meet many new friends but i have no idea how to d this..i will have my girlfriend but i dont want to rely on her to find new friends etc.Is there anything that i should prepare myself for? something that i wont know until i have arrived,I am very excted but very scared to,i hope you guys can help me !

Hello future Expat, I"ve been here 5 months ,i live with French lady in centre Brdx, And as i"m in my 40s (30 in nature ha!)and have spent 8yrs in Canada i"m still learning Francais.Lot"s of Anglaise here,but you will have to learn the language to basic standard.
CENTRE D" ANIMATION SAINT-MICHEL,25 Rue Permentade,33000, Brdx,
Tel; 05-56-91-32-08,
They do a group lesson mixed with all nationalities,and i have met some great mates of all ages !!!
There are other centres around town ! Private lessons are 15 to 25 euros an hour,Centres are free,you pay 9euros fee for year,Also get your C,V made in French/English.Good Luck i"m sure when you settle and gain confidence you will love it !! Bordeaux the city for all ages Ha!!!

Hey! I'm from Northern Ireland and I moved her in September to be an au pair. I'm currently in a language school which is extremely expensive if you aren't an au pair it's about 600€ a month. I strongly advise you and your girlfriend start learning french ASAP as to help you spend less money on classes once you arrive. Making friends here is so easy, there are a few bars which are Irish or English and French people in Bordeaux are accommodating and happy to help you plus there are English and Irish workers here. A night in the pub should gain you at least one friend and school will help you gain a lot more. It's an excellent experience and a beautiful city. But I do recommend you to start studying French now. They language is difficult and the teachers only speak to you in French. I hope you and your girlfriend are looking forward to moving here :) and good luck with your experience!!!

Ahh thanks a lot i did not notice until
Now i had replies! My girlfriend is french and already lives in bordeaux so this helps alot as she is willing to help improve my french as much as possible before i make the move.its nice to know meeting people is not that difficult as this was my biggest worry. Do you have any idea how difficult it would be to find a basic job for someone who is not fluent in french? For example,cleaner,bar job etc! Once again thanks and i hope you are enjoying life in bordeaux!

As jobs in Brdx go I"m not looking for now,BUT it would help if you get your girlfriend to find Le Cannele" D" Adresses it"s a little book with a lot of Rests/Bars of all types,and when you are here visit the Houses of Parliament pub as they are Irish/English staff and are very nice. (make sure yo know what tax etc forms to bring) Now i"m off to Blighty for Xmas !!! Bon Chance !

Hi  :D

I'm Elin, 25 years old and moved to Bordeaux on 4th January...so 2 days ago!!

Exactly like you, I moved to live with my boyfriend (French) and I have very limited French and would definitely like someone to go to language school with!!! I am lucky enought to be working remotely for my UK job so am not much help on the work front, I'm afraid.

Elin  :)

Ahh thanks again for the replies! been really busy over christmas haven't had a chance to check in on here,was in bordeaux for a week just before christmas actually went to a few language schools to check them out and yes they are very expensive! luckily i dont have to decide which one just yet.Erin just curious,what is your job?   And  does anyone know of where about i can find more information about tax forms etc and information on doctor/dentist..thanks :)

Yes..language schools are very expensive!!! Might have to make it lessons with my boyfriend for a while!
I work for an international wheelchair sport federation so a lot of the work is via skype and email anyway - it's worked out really well. First day back tomorrow...so will see how well it goes then.....!!!

I have just ordered assimil francais from  amazon it has many great reviews and sounds good for beginners,I really want to learn as much as possible before i make the move so ill give that a try.I think the most important thing is motivation and just "stick to it" haha ! my girlfriend helps me a lot also which is good!
Ahh cool good luck ! :)

Bonjour  :)

Hi my name is Ruth. I am from Ireland and I'm 25 years old and I'm moving to Bordeaux on the 25th of January. In two weeks . . . Eekkk!

I am so happy to have stumbled upon your posts. Likewise, I am moving to Bordeaux to be with my boyfriend (French). The things we do for love :) I would say my French is pretty limited. So that is my top priority now. I will be checking out the centre d'animation saint-Michel, so thanks for that!

I would like to find work teaching English. I just completed a TEFL course, but apart from that I have no experience. I was wondering if anyone has a personal experience or advice in how to get into this line of work?

Great to know I'm not alone,
Ruth

In bordeaux for a few days if anyone would like to meet up to do something as i have some spare time !

Hello

I'm a french woman and I live in Bordeaux.

I want to improve my english with english spoken people.

I can help you with your french.

Contact me!

Hello,

If you are still looking for a job, you can check website like 'Pole Emploi', 'Sud Ouest' but you'll need help from your significant other as it's all in French and will be quite complicated.

I saw on Pole Emploi that the Central Pub in Gambetta are looking for someone. It's an English pub so they'll probably be happy to get an English CV.

Good luck!

Hello!

I am a Canadian, 25 years old, and named Zoe. I am in Bordeaux for one month.. Taking a language course (my French Is still very poor). I would like to meet international people to hang out with and hopefully speak some English because French all day Is tiring at my level!