VISA - APPLY BEFORE YOU GO OR IN FRANCE?

My husband and I and our 15 month old son may be moving to France. My husband already has a carte de resident. Will my son and I need to apply for a visa before we leave Australia and if so what kind of visa? Or do we all just go to France and apply for a visa (again if so, what type of visa) there? My husband also has a 7 year old daughter from a previous marriage, who is French. My husband and I and our son are Australian.

Cheers

Nathalie, is Australia a country where you don't need visa to go to Europe when you want to stay less than 3 months ? If so, you need to apply for a titre de séjour as soon as you get in France.
If Australian citizens don't have that choice, you have to check with the French embassy to ask for a titre de séjour. Then they will give you a 3-month long visa while you take care of the TS in France. I believe the reason would be "regroupement familial" ?

Thanks Jo Ann.

Yes, Australias are allowed to stay in France for up to 3 months without a visa. There is the option to apply for a long-stay visa prior to leaving for France but my husband thinks that it would be ok to apply for the titre de séjour when we arrive. I guess I'm just concerned about being deported after 3 months is up!

Do you know how or where to apply for the titre de séjour? Is there are website with information?

Thank you so much.

Hi Natalier

Here's a website with the info you need:

riviera.angloinfo.com/countries/france/residency.asp

Good luck and enjoy your stay in France!

Hi! My wife (she's french)and I moved to france 2 years ago and except if the law changed do not come in france without the proper visa they won't let you ask for a titre de séjour from france. You will need to go to a french embassy with an appointment and get your visa. That would probably be the family regroupment visa but I'm not sure because your husband is not frenchit depends what titre de séjour he has and how long he's been out of france.
Don't hesitate to call both french and austrilian embassies until you get all the information.
Be very careful France is trying to make it a lot harder on ppl who wants to immigrate so all the paperwork is gonna be a real pain and they gonna try to confuse you with different answers :(
Good Luck

Thanks very much!

Hi there!

Im french, my boyfriend is from australia. we ve been together for a long time now but we are not married. He s got an english work visa for 5 years. What kind of visa could he apply for to be able to work and lve in France?
Thank you for your help!

I believe all non-European citizens must apply for the long stay visa prior to coming to France.  I found the french embassy websites pretty clear in their instructions. 

I am an American living in France and while it took some effort gathering the necessary paperwork, everyone I encountered was polite and helpful. 

Also, once you arrive you have only a couple of months to get to the prefecture and submit your paperwork for your carte de sejour.

For me the steps were apply for visa at french embassy in SF, arrive in south of France and visit the local prefecture with my visa and paperwork to complete the carte de sejour application, pay a tax and receive a medical in France and then wait to receive the carte de sejour as a visiteur (good for one year).

I have since been able to change this to a non-visiteur status because I have started a business, with permission.

Lots of paperwork steps involved, but not impossible.  there are helpful links in the sidebar of my blog, if you are interested.  http://www.noregretsforme.blogspot.com