Moving to Riyadh

Is anybody moving to Riyadh in January?

Hi Kate,
I've been offered a job in Riyadh, a place on a western compound etc starting early/mid Feb. I will probably accept it, although I'm not sure I want to give up London for Riyadh. Are you making the move?
James

frio wrote:

Hi Kate,
I've been offered a job in , a place on a western compound etc starting early/mid Feb. I will probably accept it, although I'm not sure I want to give up London for Riyadh. Are you making the move?
James

yes,I am leaving London for Riyadh.Can you believe that? hahaha
are you on skype?

Hi, yes I am.
I'll PM you my details.

frio wrote:

Hi, yes I am.
I'll PM you my details.

I have no idea how it works. I have just sent you a message,have you received it?

Also heading back out there end of the month ... Yay!!!

Hi Kate,

Have you moved to Riyadh yet?  If so, what do you think?
I'm moving there for a job in a hospital at the end of January.

Hi KaraRN ... not there yet both katelol and I will be joining you end of the month ... excited!!! x

Hi New People!

Welcome to the Kingdom!!  My advice to you is to always try to retain your good spirits and sense of humor here (it can be a very frustrating place).  Google 'Murphy's Laws' and commit them to memory lol

There may not be a lot of external stimulation but in a sense it's a good thing because it slows life down and gives you the opportunity to get to know yourself.  Expats here seem to love the Kindle since it gives you access to everything (the largest bookstore here, Jarir, has a rather limited English Language section). 

I have found the Saudi's to be good people, lots of fun with good senses of humor.  However, if you're a teacher, be aware that it's a different system here (if you want to know more, PM me).

Being a westerner, there are some things you will see here on a daily basis (racial discrimination, for example) that will really bother you.  However, I feel that we can make a positive contribution if--rather than being disgusted--we 'lead by example' and make it a point to openly treat everybody with respect and consideration.

I consider my time here to have been quite the learning experience, one most westerners (esp. Americans!) don't have access to.

Best of luck to all of you.

I'm moving to Riyadh in about March...got a job there. Western compound, good pay etc.
I've read so many differing opinions. I'm a bit scared :P Although, I've lived in Russia for the past 3 years and all the info you get before you travel here is pretty much rubbish. So I hope it won't be too bad in Riyadh as a Westerner for a while.

I'll be teaching in Riyadh the beginning of February.  I have taught in Vietnam and South Korea, but must admit, I feel a little nervous about this decision.  Still unsure exactly what clothing I should bring.  Anyone have advice about that and any else you think I should know?  My position is through Education Experts.

Lilith63 wrote:

I'll be teaching in Riyadh the beginning of February.  I have taught in Vietnam and South Korea, but must admit, I feel a little nervous about this decision.  Still unsure exactly what clothing I should bring.  Anyone have advice about that and any else you think I should know?  My position is through Education Experts.

Hi ... good luck with your job, hope you like it in KSA it's not as bad as everyone makes out :)

It will be getting nice and toastie again soon, so bring mostly warm weather stuff. You will need something conservative for going to dinners etc, most restaurants seem ok with you taking abayas off but obviously a bikini may cause some stir :). You can get pretty much everything here so no need to panic about stock shortages. Although you may have to get different brands. Plus you will of course need your abaya. I come in to Riyadh airport without mine on but you are best picking one up before if you haven't already got one. I met a couple woman dressed in normal clothes going to buy their abayas one time but I don't know that i would recommend that.

Hi All,
I'm from London but currently based in Hong Kong and moving to Riyadh mid February. Living in a wastern compound,
Any advise warmly received, along with making contacts and friends.
Thanks
B

Hi Bizzle,

A lot has already been covered on this thread.  You will also find more information if you go to the topics listed at the top of this screen:

Topic categories
New members
Networking
Everyday life
Leisure
Shopping
Cost of living
Bank
Work
Schools & studies
Health care
Children
Telecommunications
Accommodation
Removal
Cars and transportation
Pets

Just click on the ones that are of particular interest and you'll be directed to past discussions of that topic.

If there is anything specific you need to know that hasn't been discussed, I'm sure somebody here will have an answer for you.

Welcome to the Kingdom!

Thx A