22 yr old aussie girl moving to london woooooooooooo

hey, im a 22 year aussie girl moving to london in 2012 after the olympics. i love going out with friends, meeting new people.

im trying to find a job in london or the greater london, the area im looking in is social work. i would have just finished my uni course.
i have always wanted to move oversea and i figure now is the time, however i have no idea where to start, where should i live? should i flat share as soon as i get there? where is the best place to go to gigs? i love chilling at live shows.

i would love to go and see some kind of arts maybe in west end.

if anyone could help me it would be amazing
:D

Hello Isabelle and welcome to Expat.com!

Do not hesitate to browse through the different threads of the forum, this may help.;)

You may also take a look at the articles in our participative guide.

All the best,
Harmonie.:)

Go to the East End, it's buzzing, very lively, and as the highest concentrations of artists in Europe and probably the world.
You should get yourself some sort of temporary accomodation sorted out, like an hostel and from there visit some rooms for rent.

As for jobs, I guess gumtree, monster and indeed.com are good approaches for searching. After that perhaps solicitating businesses directly might work!
I think if you can afford moving to london first and then seeking a job might work best!
What sort of work are you looking for? ;)

i would like to get a job working in social work, so with kids who are disadvanted or something like that however if that doesnt happen i would do admin and like a bar job. i think i will need to know what im doing behind a bar first before i leave.. i know how to drink so that could help right???

also thank you for helping guys :)
tell me everything that i will need to know

Hi. I am moving to london mid march. I am lucky enough to have some family living there as well, so rent is one thing i dont have to worry about. I am cuirrently working in Abu Dhabi at a 4star world known hotel brand, howvever I am cutting my contract by a year and moving to london. I am going to be based in Hackney and will be looking for work in central london. I dont know much about london expect for what I need to know like currency and livnig expenses etc. Id like to know more about activities and social gatherings, as well I am an artful person open minded and free as a bird, so Id like to meet people alike.

Please contact me, and keep in touch so when I arrive we can cmeet.

Hi, There is a shortage of social workers in the UK, especially in Childrens Services.  Where I have been working recently (in Kent), most of the social workers in 'Children and Families' (ie: disadvantaged families, child protesction etc) are not British - mostly from Eastern Europe.

Your best option would be to contact a social work agency and register with them.  Below are a few links to get you started:

http://www.hays.co.uk/job/social-care-jobs/index.htmhttp://www.britishsocialworkjobs.com/http://www.reed.co.uk/jobs/social-carehttp://www.healthcarelocums.com/bluecare

You will see that there are jobs in many areas.  London and the Southeast tends to have the most, as it is the most densely populated part of the country, but is also the costliest, in terms of living costs. 

As I have a background in socal care (OT, not social work), I would say that it is an advantage to have some work experience before you go to the UK.

Good luck.

just out of curiosity, how is it that you guys could easily find jobs in the UK (referring to OP who's an aussie and another who's from middle east)? As I understand now, any non-briton can hardly secure any jobs (excluding through illegal means) unless they're really experienced like with few years under their belt and having like master's degree.

Don't get me wrong - I too, want to go down this route, but not seeing much of a light at end of tunnel; hence my question here in continuation to exploring my options. Thanks in advanced for clarifying.

Dear Ninelives, I am not sure what the system is like now days. I have a job and sponsor in the uk which is why I am going and able to go, I also have family in the UK who have been based there for over 30 years, so yeah its a little easier for me to travel, in fact its a bit easier for me to travel full stop, I have family in aussie, canada, south korea, california, florida,south africa, denmark, thailand and new york.

Guess I am lucky that way also, being in hospitality for the last 13 years of my life has provided me with a steller CV and I am able to travel many places through this. As there is always a hotel looking for staff.

I hope we get to meet in london:-)

oh okay, now that you spelt out family ties, I'm clear as crystal.

As a foreigner wanting to get a job in uk you will need to be there in person and apply for a job. Having family members means having a place to stay, your employer will not worried about your accomondation and that's covered, and chances are they will hire u

If u are thinking of applying jobs while overseas chances of getting a job are slim unless you are super skilled high level person that they really need

Hey

I am from London and could try and help you look for work. I am pretty familiar with the London area...

Walter

what have you done??