Hello people!

Hi everyone!

Glad I fount this website, it looks great!

Well, I'll introduce myself: I'm Bart from Belgium and I'm planning to move to London in 2-3 months.

Why? Last year (sep 2009 - sep 2010) I studied for an MSc at Kent Uni. This school is very international and this is exactly what I miss in Belgium: Meeting new people, meeting people from other countries and cultures etc..
I'm also planning to look for a job in the financial industry (however I don't have any experience in it..), but where can one be better than in London if you are planning to work in finance?

I also don't know London at all (last time I have been there I was 12) so I'll have to look up a lot of info about the city and accommodation.
A question I'm having at the moment is for example:
* Should I first look for housing in London, and then find a job?
* Or should I first look for some temporary accommodation, then look for a job, and once I found a job look for "longer-term" housing (thinking about transportation links and how easy I can reach my work)?

All advice, info and useful links about London are more than welcome!

Greetings
Bart

Hi Bart,

Welcome on Expat-blog! :)

Thank you for your introduction.

You may also have a look at the "Life in England" guide.

Wish you good luck
Christine

Hi Bart!

When my wife and first moved over, we stayed in short term housing for one month. Of course our situation was different because my wife had a job before we came over. But that month gave me an opportunity to look at the different neighbourhoods in London and eventually finding a place in Fulham.

If you come over and find a place to live in London without a job, be prepared to pay up to 6 months in advance rent. It sucks, but it what it is. Some may be cool and ask for less than that though but that's pretty standard.

Hope this helped in some sort of way.

hey Bart! I am Tram and Ive just spent one year in Londoon for study and will be back there on August. I think it is really hard to find both an accommdation and also a job at the same time. It would be a great way to find a short term room to look for a job and then after getting a job you can find a permanent one. I know many friends to do that way. In my experience, zone 1-2 often has many place to rent with high fee, so it could be cheaper to find a temp place in zone3-4. PICCADILLY LINE is a very line so you should consider about living on it, for example Turnpike Lane, Wood Green and BOunds Green. Remember: YOU GET WHAT OU PAY. if you find a palce with very cheap rent fee, dont be happy immediately, look around the neighborhood, safety and transportation. This is my advice for you. Take care. If you need more help, my yahoo id is [email protected])

Bonjour Bart!

Tou depend en combien de temps tu trouveras un emplois, on ne sait jamais, le mieux je pense est de louer un appartement qui est bien connecte au transport

Hi nadizim!

As this is the anglophone forum can you please post in English?

Thanks and regards
Armand