Organize your move to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Hi all,

we invite you to share your experience about moving to the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Here is a list of questions which might help the ones preparing their move to the Democratic Republic of Congo:

What would you bring and what would you leave behind?

Is it a good idea to bring furniture or domestic appliances?

Any foodstuffs that are banned in the Democratic Republic of Congo?

Is it better to bring a car or to buy one once settled in the Democratic Republic of Congo?

Any advice for the ones who are moving to the Democratic Republic of Congo?

Thank you in advance for your participation :)

Hi Julie

Hi,   

I hope people have already replied to you but I am going to add some suggestions.
We came here in DRC end of March and almost leaving this country unexpectedly.

I did not bring any furniture, appliance but I bought locally.   
Here is the price :

New LG Fridge  $900~$1100
LG Washing Machine 5KG $470
LG Washing Machine 7 KG $650
LG Dryer $600 (?)
LG Flat 32' TV $650
LG Microwave $130

LG appliance stores are major electric store in Kin.  You can find other brand from Europe
I bought a cooker/oven $450 from other store which is fake Japanese but it works.

Furniture is very expensive if you buy brand new.   YOu could order to local carpenters but you know the first 3 months are always hectic and you need beds right away.

A Furnished place for rent is $1000 plus.   That was why I chose un furnished but we have to leave here within one year.   I regret I should have rent a furnished place.  I am selling all my staff right now.

There is  an International Women's club in Kin and if you can join this group, you could get good information for sale.     People sell furniture, appliance, and vehicle.   They send you information.

Food?   I am not sure which country you come from but I can say we can buy almost anything (except Japanese staff) but very expensive.  My favorite Quaker's Muesli costs me about $15.
Dannon's small small yogurt with 6 packs cost me $15 too.

Good news is we can buy very tasty pickles for $2 and also popcorn seeds $2!

Hope these info helps you.   

Good luck!

Tomo Campbell

Thanks for the info T C !

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]