Hi, I'm looking for a russian guy that I met this summer!

Hi, my name is Elizabet. I speak English a little bit but I am Cuban and I would like to learn "ruso" too. If somebody can help me with that..thanks. And I'm looking for a russian guy that I met this summer, so, wish me suerte.

Hi Elizabet,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I have moved your topic on the Cuba forum for better visibility.

I wish you good luck in your search.
Christine
------------
Expat.com team

Hi!
Do you want a Russian language or your Russian friend?
I'm from Ukraine and looking to meet Cuban people.

Hi Alexander.My understanding is that there are about 5,000 people of Russian origin in Cuba and they have probably taken out Cuban citizenship, because Cuba does not permit dual nationality, most of them probably were members of the Soviet military as few people immigrate to Cuba. As I understand it, people following completion of the different levels of education are directed to their jobs by the Ministry of Labour and the Government is trying to reduce the number of government employees. I think that the chances of being employed by the Cuban Government are zero. Are you aware of Cuban rates of pay for professionals? Doctors, Engineers. Teachers etc. are paid about 750 pesos per month (25 pesos = 1 dollar), so that works out to almost 1 dollar per day. The pension is 200 pesos per month. The people of Cuba are in general, delightful, but as you probably know, have limited access to e-mail and no access to the Internet. The only newspapers are those of the Communist party and the few TV stations are controlled by the government.Tourism is the major economic driver, with about 2.2 million visitors per year of whom 45% are Canadian.

Professionally, I'm looking for communication with Cuban economists. As to work, it would not be exactly employment like, say, postgraduate with diploma, but working in some team which task is to provide effective social-economic policy to stimulate rapid economic growth (which, in it's turn, seems to be rather of vital importance for Cuba to survive).
Something like "Chicago Boys" in Chile.
My knowledge and experience, and possibilities, I believe, are somehow far away from what is expected from "typical" Cuban employee with similar education. The main reason for me would be the work itself. In this case the amount of pesos would play rather insignificant role.

As recently as September 2010, the Cuban Government announced through the trade union, that 500,000 Cubans would have to move from working for Government into the private sector - that policy has failed and by February 2011 the Government was back-pedaling. However there are more people trying to sell something from their front doors, be it vegetables, fruit, shoes, crude metal kitchen ware, pirated DVD's etc. but as the number of buyers has not increased, the law of diminishing returns applies. You refer to agriculture, the current Minister of Agriculture is a military General. Cuba has a lot of rich agricultural land and a lot of water in aquifers, but much of that land is lying fallow and reverting to bush.500,000 tonnes of rice is imported annually from Vietnam. Apples from the US, canned tomatoes from Spain, the list goes on. I wish you good fortune in trying to persuade the Government of Cuba that it needs you.

Hello alexander111 and MacDuff!

I believe the last three posts are off topic.

Regards,

Francesca

I agree

I am not from Russia.
Sorry

Hi Francesca:
Whereas you are correct in saying that the three posts were getting off topic, I should explain that prior to making my post I checked upon Alexander 111's personal notes. In providing the information I gave in my two posts I was trying to assist him by providing information upon the reality of Cuba it's Government and the employment policies. I would hate to see someone blindly invest their hopes in pursuit of what is thought to be a dream, only to find that it is a myth. I promise not to stray again, but hope that Alexander has taken the information to heart.

I have... But dream stays... Any suggestions?

Hello again Alexander 111. Elisita was seeking a Russian man - then we got into the discussion and took it off track. All I can do as one who now spends a total of six months per year with my wife at our home in Cuba, is explain the reality. Cuba became a one party state following the revolution. It is an island, where the people do not in general have access to the internet or to e-mail. The Castros will remain in power for their lifetime, supported by long term supporters like First Vice President Ventura (aged 81) who can be described as a Stalinist and Alarcon who chairs the National Assembly (aged 77). They have been a bit remiss in not training a younger generation to replace them in the administration. As criticism of the Government is a criminal offence, few Cubans will publicly express a political view. I have been asked frequently by younger Cubans about getting employed in my country and when I ask them why, they point to greater opportunity and the much higher standard of living and also that they have little opportunity to find full time employment many are very well educated.Currently the economy is struggling and to those like you and I who have some training in economics, when visiting, some of the answers are obvious - but unacceptable under communist philosophy. If Chavez in Venezuela dies or survives but looses the election there will be severe repercussions in Cuba. My advice is to consider other countries or if determined to end up in Cuba, to wait ten years. Sorry not to be more encouraging. Cuba remains a beautiful country with many wonderful people where the family is the centre of life and music is the soul of both culture and of Cuba.

Hello alexander111 and MacDuff,

I think you should start a new topic on the Cuba forum. :)

Thank you.

No Christine, because I have offered all the advice that I can and do not want to take part in a debate about the economy of Cuba.No doubt Alexander 111 will consider my response and opinions and take his own decisions.He has my best wishes in doing so.