Opening a bank account in Ghana

Hi all,

is it difficult for expats to open a bank account in Ghana ?

Which documents are required to open a bank account in Ghana ?

How long does it take to open it ?

Is there any restriction for expats regarding the services (loans for instance)  ?

Which bank would you recommend ?

Thanks in advance for your participation,

Julien

I opened mine with Standard Chartered and it wasn't too difficult. You need the sort of documents that you would need at any bank. At the time I only had my visitor's visa but they accepted that even though you are supposed to have a current resident permit.
Their charges were exhorbitant though! They wanted to charge me $5000 to transfer $50000 from Ecobank in Ghana to their bank in Ghana. I complained and they refunded it!
Haven't taken out a loan so have no idea how those relate to expats but interest rates are crippling here so don't think I would want one!

Thanks for your contribution hkann!;)

Harmonie.:)

You must have a work/resident permit but in certain circumstances, they accept to open the bank account without it.
I am with Société Générale, excellent services.
You can have loans, but not on extended period as in Europe. Rates are crazy, like 12% in USD and 30% in cedis.
Take a bank with lots of ATM's in the country, there is no interconnection between the different banks and all of them have thei own system, unless you use visa, but you are very often doubled debited.
Best is to take an account with the agency close to your office/residence and take enough cash for one week / one month.