International money transfer

Dear All,

What service do you use to make money transfers to the outside?

World Remit for money transfers to Ghana, especially the Mobile Money attached to the various cell phone providers. worldremit.com
For cell phone airtime, it's recharge.com

OK, but it is also working from Ghana to other countries ?

Just a little tongue in cheek humor - what? send money FROM Ghana? That's a concept that is just inconceivable, a one way street. I just can't imagine money going out of Ghana. But, if you must, I don't see why World Remit can't serve your purposes. I've found that their transfer fees are somewhat less than the mainstream services like Western Union and Moneygram. And then, there's always the bank to bank transfer. If you have so much money that you're sending it out of Ghana, then maybe you should have an account at an international bank with a branch in Accra.

:lol: And yes, like what everything happens...

Yes I have a local account. But when I see the form to fill out... It is a dreadful heaviness.

As part of my professional mission on Tema, since many things are taken care of by my employer, the amount that is granted as pocket money is relatively substantial... So unless you go every day in some high-end restaurants and attend some establishments providing carnal pleasures, I prefer be able to transfer rather than present at the airport with a brick of bank notes... :cool:

Hi,

well I can quite see Georgiaboy's point, in general terms :D

I did once bring more money into Ghana than I needed, so I tried to send some back (my account was with CAL Bank).

For one thing sending money out was limited to USD 10,000 (as I recall) per annum at the time - this was probably 2013 or 2014. Well, the CAL Bank sat on the transfer request for a long time but nothing ever happened, so in the end I withdrew the cedis and exchanged the cash for euros with a reliable - but unofficial - money dealer at Market Circle, Takoradi, and took the euros with me to Europe.

In my days at Barclays Bank in Accra (1967 - 1970) we had what was called a PRQ, Personal Remittance Quota, which allowed us to send surplus earnings home - to the UK in my case. That system has doubtless disappeared since the cedi became (officially) convertible. I would check with Barclays or one of the other international banks such as Standard and Chartered.

HTH
Rod