Bank account for expats in Ghana

What is the basic eligibility for an expat to open a bank account in Ghana. And what are the documents one need to provide to open a bank account?

Hello Swaana and welcome to Expat.com. :)

I may suggest you the Offshore Banking For Expatriates.

I hope that other members will be able to help you.

Good luck,
Harmonie.

You need your ID in the form of a passport.
You also need someone to introduce you like an employer.
It is quite easy once you decide on a bank.

Hi Swaana

All you need is to have your residency in Ghana (as they require a photo copy of it and your passport) and a letter from your employer/sponsor introducing you to the bank.

Eco Bank is who i bank with out here and also have international use of the debit card. The set up process is very easy aswell - well it was here in Takoradi anyway.

Hope this helps

Matt

I am currently waiting on my work permit to be processed.

Can I set up a local account now on a BV or will I have to wait until my WP has been processed?

Thanks.

Hi John,

As far as im aware you need your work permit/redidency (i did anyway).... but allways worth popping into the bank and asking them i guess...?

I suppose I was in a different situation as I have a Ghanaian spouse but I didn't have my resident visa when I opened my bank account with Standard Chartered. I opened it with just my visitor's visa.

Hi,
I do not have the residencepermit, neither a workingpermit.
A friend introduced me to the bankmanager to who i gove my passport and she opened the bankaccounts fr me.
Just simply like this.