Spouse visa help please

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum so first of all would like to introduce myself. Me and my hubby are British expats living in Dubai.

Hubby recently got offered a job in Kuwait so we may be moving there but we have a slight problem.

When we got married hubby could not take alot of time off work. We were only in London for 6 days for the wedding therefore we couldnt get a civil ceremony done. We only had a nikkah done (muslim ceremony with 3 witnesses) and were given our nikkah certificate.

This is a document that of course cannot be attested in UK as its not a civil ceremony document and UK is not a Muslim country! My question is that what problems will we have obtaining a wife visa for me and will we be classed as living together unmarried?

I'm very confused and your advise would be much appreciated.

I did post in another forum and I was told that next time I should respect the laws of UK. Well we didnt do anything illegal. We didnt have the time for a civil ceremony as you have to go a week before your ceremony and give 'notice' then you are giving a time slot for your civil ceremony. Therefore we decided to make sure we do get our Muslim ceremony certificate at least hoping it would be accepted in Middle East.

Thank you.

Anyone please?

Sorry Hugsys, its a very unique situation.

Why dont u do the following; get married in Kuwait, since ur already married, wherever it is people get married here, at the justice department etc. U as a British expat can get a 3-month visit visa on arrival.

Worth a shot.

Thats my best guess. the rest of ur story is flying over my head.

best of luck to you.

also, kuwait and dubai are very similar, whatever u did in dubai, u will do in kuwait.

Thanks for getting back in touch. To get married in Kuwait do I not need my father to be present? Although me and DH are both british we are muslim so I dont think just getting married in Kuwait is that easy is it?

Not sure what you meant by the rest of my story going over your head.

this part:

This is a document that of course cannot be attested in UK as its not a civil ceremony document and UK is not a Muslim country! My question is that what problems will we have obtaining a wife visa for me and will we be classed as living together unmarried?

i do believe you can get married in a court of law without the need for your parents to be present (dont quote me on that).

like i said, the process in Kuwait will be similar to dubai, so do not worry about it now, worry when u get here, and think of alfred e. neumans motto; what, me worry?

i like to do something useful for all expats in Kuwait, so do tell me if the following is useful to u (it is a lot so please bear with me):

link
Guidance for Marriage

It is possible to get married in a church in Kuwait and under Sharia law in the courts. If you are a British National residing and wishing to get married in Kuwait you must post your marriage bans to acquire a Certificate of No Impediment (CNI) from the British Embassy.

Certificate of No Impediment (CNI)
To apply for a Certificate of No Impediment, you need to first post a Notice of Marriage at the British Embassy. This notice is needed only for British Nationals: if both parties getting married are British Nationals, each party is required to post a separate notice and acquire individual CNIs.

Following are the steps you need to take to acquire your CNI:

1. Posting a Notice of Marriage
a) You (British National) must be in the country for 21 continuous days prior to coming into the Embassy.

b) On or after your 22nd continuous day of staying in Kuwait, you may then come into the Embassy with your original

Passport
Long form birth certificate(which includes parents names) www.gro.gov.uk
Naturalisation (if applicable)
Divorce decree absolute certificate (if applicable) and/or
Ex-spouse's death certificate (if applicable).

English

c) You would also need to bring in the above mentioned documents (originals) for your Non British fiancé/e. If your fiancé/e is a British National, he/she would also have to come in; if he/she is not a British National, then he/she would not need to come in.

d) Request for and fill in the Notice of Marriage form (Fee 12) and swear an oath/affirmation to the effect that there is no impediment to your marriage, which will then be posted for 21 days in the Embassy.

2. Collecting your CNI
After 21 days, you come back to the Embassy and pay for a Certificate of No Impediment (Fee 13). If no legal impediment to the marriage has been shown to exist, the CNI is issued in English and Arabic.

Marriage in the Ministry of Justice, Kuwait (Civil Ceremony)
After acquiring your CNI, you are required to take them to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Kuwait to be stamped. The Bride and Groom are required to provide the following documents:

Original Kuwaiti Civil Ids and copies
Original Passports and copies
CNI from respective Embassy, stamped by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs – Kuwait
The British Embassy cannot be held liable for any additional documents required by the Ministry of Justice.

Two male witnesses are required. Make sure that the witnesses carry either their passports or valid identifications (someone with a Kuwait civil ID is preferable) with them.  Take photocopies of the identifications for all parties involved.

Civil wedding ceremonies are performed at the Ministry of Justice, Block 15, Ground Floor, Ministries Complex, Murgab Area. For further information on Civil Ceremonies, please contact the Ministry of Justice on 00965 2248-6444

Civil ceremonies are held on Sundays and Wednesdays between 0800 and 1100 at the Ministry of Justice.

Muslim Marriage
Muslim wedding ceremonies are held at the Reggaie Courts, Reggaie.

Muslim Bride:

Where the bride is a Muslim, only a religious marriage under Islamic law is permitted and the groom must be a Muslim.
If the bride is a British National, the Ministry of Justice requires you to submit a Certificate of No Impediment issued by the British Embassy. She will also need a male representative of her family to be present at the ceremony or give official approval.

Muslim Groom:

Where the groom is a Muslim, only a religious marriage under Islamic law is permitted although it is not obligatory for the bride to be a Muslim.

If the groom is a British National, the Ministry of Justice do not require you to submit a Certificate of Impediment. Although he will need to submit his Conversion Certificate, if converted to Muslim.

For further information, please contact the Ministry of Justice – 00965 22465600

pretty informative though

Hello,

I am married and living in Kuwait for over a year now, never nobody asked if i have any marrige certificate if thats what you worry about. Considering your visa, I am not surew, but bealive you will need a marrige certificate if your husband will be your sponsor, meaning if you want to come by Family visa.