What to do after serving Travel Ban?

Good afternoon,

I am asking this on behalf of my son who is Canadian. He is coming to the end of a 5 year term for his travel ban which he was served for an overstay. He regrets his poor decision as a young man back in the day.

I have a few questions:

1) What is the first step to take after the ban ends and you wish to travel with a tourist status (allowable up to 180 days) again? Is anyone aware of the forms necessary?

2) Will all future travel to the US be far more complex than it was before the ban?

3) Will hiring a lawyer be highly advisable for his first attempt at re-entry?

The hope is that he is able to stay with tourist status and spend time with his brother (who has a 5 year visa). Potentially he would like to obtain a similar visa (as an athlete) in the future.

Thank you!

I believe that if he tries to get an ESTA, he will be asked if he has been banned in the past.

He will probably be asked to have an interview to the U embassy.

This is what happened to anyone who had a via application denied in the past.

Once banned, it definitely make it more difficult to enter the country. Sometimes, they don't grant you an authorization to set foot back in the US.

He shoudl start filling our the esta application and he will be told what to do.

https://www.usimmigrationsupport.org/es … xgQAvD_BwE

An advice from an immigration lawyer is always helpful.

Good luck to him!

@poseidon72 we can help you in that

@poseidon72 but it is through so procedures

@irioluwajohn010

Hello and welcome !

What information can you share in regards to the OP's question ?

Regards

Bhavna

I've been in a similar situation before, so here's my advice:

First step: Once the ban is up, he should apply for a new visa at the U.S. consulate. He'll need to fill out the DS-160 form and set up an interview.

Future travel: It's probably going to be more complicated. He should expect extra questions and scrutiny, so being honest and having all the right documents ready will help.

Lawyer: Not a must, but it could be helpful. A lawyer can guide him through the process and might make things smoother.

Good evening everyone ☺️

@Matet onzalez

Do you have some information on the subject matter.

If so please post it here.

Your profile shows you are seeking information about USA.

If so, then read other posts on the forum.

Click on Guide at the top of this page for information too.