Dating advice for a mixed dominican/american woman moving to the DR?

Hi everyone!

I am (f) turning 30 and moving to the Dominican Republic to care for my elderly grandmother in Santiago. Unfortunately, I am very removed from my culture. I am the only half-white person in my family. My Spanish is broken but passable, and I'm a bit of the 'odd one' amongst my relatives. Now in my life I'm looking for a serious relationship. Still, I'm worried that because of some of my nontraditional values, it will be hard for me to find love in the DR. I am a creative person open minded person, I have tattoos, alternative spiritual beliefs, I am a feminist, I am also Bisexual and find myself at odds with Catholicism. The more I learn about the DR the more that it seems to be one of the more conservative countries in Latin America, is that true? I also have a high-earning position and it is important for me to find someone of equal financial stability. So my question is where can I meet like-minded similar people to me in the DR? I imagine it may be challenging, but I am trying to remain hopeful. Any general advice will be appreciated.

I would not be concerned about the claim to catholic / old fashioned religious values that you may have read about in the DR. It must be a small select group hiding in the mountains. I would be patient and aware that your financial stability is attractive to many. As in any culture, country anywhere...you find someone with common likes, beliefs, values etc...and see what happens. Be patient and see what happens.

You are in for a shock.  I hope your age group is a little more progressive.  It will not be easy. 

I would prefer to have this conversation privately so I will message you

@LT American i really hope I can find community there! Thanks for the encouragement.

Anything has taught me over the years. Is that dominican's value honestly. So just be honest with everyone. Relationships in general here are very hard to form and develop. Coming from the US you're probably used a big treated like a lady where here it seems there's a lot more arguing. Like I say it's just for my observation here. And how does the adage go? Don't take my generosity as a weakness. Seems like here you have to file your heart and what you know will make you happy . Learning Spanish is still a day-to-day struggle for me, but I've been doing much better lately and I noticed that they appreciate you trying at least. Just take care of your grandmother and don't worry everything else will fall into place.

Lol… I find the complete opposite.. I wouldn't open myself to any strangers especially when 3 out of 5 people here are trying to get over on you and if your going to try a relationship here hold your card's close to your vest let's not be to open with anyone especially someone that's sizing you up for a relationship down the road, I usually tell them that I'm retired on social security and need a woman that's going to help pay the bills , usually they move along to the next sucker….😅 another save 

Anything has taught me over the years. Is that dominican's value honestly...
-@phannigan75

I'm guessing you live in a parallel universe!  1f601.svg

@sofialovestravel

If you wish I contact you with my 40 old friend; )

White polish