Insurance while waiting a decision on verification against EU law

Hello,

While waiting a decision for the verification against EU law and having residence endorsment sticker on my passport, do I need to signup for the insurance? As I read in hte insurance websites it says you can get it only if you have a valid residence permit. Has someone did it while waiting for the residence permit?

Thank you all in advance!

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

You are required to have Health Insurance if you are living in the Netherlands.  Until you sort out the registration and a job, you will need to have suitable cover from your home country.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

Hi thank you for the reply. However since the decision period of verification against eu law allows individuals to live and work in the netherlands, I am not sure if my case falls under the thing you mention. During the decision period I am allowed to register to the municipality here in The Netherlands as well. As a result, If I am allowed to live in the netherlands, shouldn't I have an insurance here?

Also considering the decision period of IND being 6 months and tourist insurances cover only 3 months in general. Moreover, I have not came here from my home country. I was living and studying in another country so I am ineligible for an insurance from my home country in that case…

Hi again.

The Dutch Government have issued a notice related to your question(s); this link will take you straight to it.

My advice is once you have read the above link, for your to speak to the Zorgverkeringlijn; they have a website with an FAQ section and details of how to contact them; this link will take you straight to it.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

Hi again, somehow I missed your reply. Thank you.

I contacted to IND and they said I am required to have insurance, thus I am eligible as my partner is an eu resident and works here (so he is required to have insurance). They adviced me to contact insurance companies directly and which I have done so. Insurance company told me that if I have an address in the NL I can take out the insurance. Then we applied through my partner's policy (added me as family member). They approved and even started the date from the day I moved to the NL.

Here I would say there is a confusion on their websites explaining the right and obligation on taking out an insurance as the determination is made through "having a permanent residence permit" - which includes non-temporary purpose of stays as well. In the event of verification against eu law - the fact about its being different than other spouse visas and permits (you have no restriction to enter to the job market on decision period is the main difference), insurance obligation is also in relation to that. As you are counted to have the rights and obligations starting from your application not starting from the receival of the permit. However, this exception is not stated clearly on government or insurance websites.

The above point I made is derived from my experiences, research, and understanding of the notion of law as a former lawyer (not in the NL). So there is no official explanation about it - however my experiences proved the fact that I was interpreting EU and Dutch regulations in the right way. And sharing this as an update just in case someone will be searching clues of information in the same situation.

@mrandmrssmith thanks so much for this update. It is rather confusing as I read in many portals that some people are not able to work during waiting for the decision despite the residence endorsement sticker. I just called the IND and they said with this application you are allowed to work straight away, so I don't know why some people are not able to do this.