Change of name

hello everyone

We have applied for our D7 visas and should be receiving them in the next few weeks (hopefully).

Between the receipt of the visa and prior to the SEF interview we plan to get married in South Africa.

My wife to be wishes to change her surname to mine (heaven knows why, but there you are).

How easy is it to do this once we have our residency?

Or should we try to change it before the interview, given that we have no idea how long the original paperwork will take to get from South Africa (we will have a copy, but the original needs to be registered there)?

Any advice would be gratefully received (apart from "don´t get married!")

many thanks in advance

Robin

We got married just before our SEF appointment when we went to the appointment we told them that we had got married they weren't bothered because over here they don't use surnames so over here I'm still known as me with no surname change, does a name really matter so long as you two know your married name & the people around you know is it really a problem

@rjt2103 Many congratulations.

If you're doing the deed in or near Cape Town & need a photographer before I get my D7 on the road to relocate to Portugal, give me a shout. I've been in the business for 30 odd years working out of London before coming here 7 years ago. Time to head North once more as soon as the house is sold.

@portugal23 Hi there. thanks for the reply.

Will you still be in cape town t the end of july?

If so how much would you charge for a couple of hours one morning on a beach setting somewhere (if the weather is good !)

kind regards

Robin

@rjt2103 I would imagine yes as the house isn't sold yet and I can't see the completion happening before then.

Whereabouts will you be staying when you get here? If you want to chat my number is *** on whatsapp too

Moderated by Bhavna 11 months ago
Reason : For security reasons, please share contact details through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@portugal23  Hi.  We will be staying in the centre of CT.

the site will not show your phone number, so perhaps you want to send it as text ie. one, two three etc. and we can chat more...

kind regards

Rob

@Jean Denise  Hi. thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

So you haven´t formally changed your surname on any paperwork?

As you say, what does it really matter, except to my wife (to be) who wants to change names...

@rjt2103 plus two seven  seven two eight  nine five nine eight nine two

In Portugal no I have not changed my surname, in the uk I have double barrelled my name if your wife to be double barrel's her surname then she gets to have your surname up to her if she uses it but saves a multitude of official contacts to change names & at the end of the day a name is just a name but you two know your are married.

@portugal23   &   @rjt2103,

You can exchange information using private message. Simply select the profile/avatar of the person you want to communicate with in private and send a message, e.g. with personal contact details. Do not share them on a public forum...

@Jean Denise

Hi. thanks for the feedback, much appreciated

kind regards

Robin

Your welcome