The importance of local language in Spain

Hey everyone,

As an expat, language questions often arise due to the need to communicate effectively in a new country. We're curious to read your experiences with learning and using the local language in Spain.

Here are some questions to get started:

What is the local language spoken in Spain? Did you learn and use it? How difficult was it to learn?

Are there any resources or services available to help expats learn the local language? What are your tips?

What is the dominant language in the business environment? Have you had to conduct business meetings in the local language?

How does language proficiency contribute to understanding the local culture? Are there any specific cultural nuances or expressions that expats should be aware of?

How important is the local language for daily tasks such as shopping, transport, health and other services in Spain?

Let's share tips and advice on how to improve language skills and integrate into a new environment.

Thank you for your contribution.

Cheryl
Expat.com Team

@Cheryl

Hi Cheryl, It's a pleasure to help with the questions you have about local language in Spain.

The local language is very important to learn as locals doesn't speak much English and they don't like to do so. However, depend on where you are going to live, they have their own community language like Valencian, Catalan, Galician etc. You have to learn that language for some jobs, especially public post, schools, hospitals.

Proficiency helps a lot especially when you are going to do documents, appointments in the borough, legal stuff, otherwise not really, However, between locals they speak to each other with their own expressions word that sometimes is difficult to understand them. the nuances of the culture it's depend on where you are or will be in Spain. Some quite arrogant, some don't like expats, some are very welcome to any body.

The dominant language for Business is Spanish if it's within the IT you can find a lot of people speak English but they prefer Spanish.

Tips to learn: if you have any hobby that can find where you are like dancing tango, running, walking, etc join a group.

Practice the language everyday where you can ask the same question to a few people like an address, place.

Go to local libraries there you can find some resources.

Hope it will help you and good luck.

Mila

Hello Mila,

Thank you for the feedback !

I am sure your inputs will benefit members.

All the best

Bhavna

@Cheryl

Hi,

I moved to Catalonia, Spain almost 7 years ago. I spent the first 4 months learning Spanish but found it difficult becasue the people in the town I live in all speak Catalan. So I wasn´t really immersed in Spanish. I then decided to learn Catalan instead. I thought that within a couple of years I'd be fluent. I was wrong!! It's been almost 7 years and I can just about hold a basic conversation. I understand a lot, but speaking is more difficult. However, I have to say, I wouldn't change anything other than making more effort by having proper classes. I teach English, and so everyone speaks to me in English, so I've not been fully immerse in the language. I'm getting there and I love being able to speak to the locals. People are always surprised when they know I speak Catalan rather than Spanish. I'm looking forward to the future being able to speak more and more Catalan.

Hi

thx for your email.

I'm retired Parisian living half of the year at Daimus since 5 years ago.

So I haven't zero experience about Spanish language because don't have here Spanish friend or family.

by the way I'm very interesting to learn

Could you please tell me where I can get Spanish lessons especially language?

thanks

BR

Eliette

thanks

cheers

@Cheryl

Hi Cheryl, I am fortunate to grow up with various languages before the age of 10 years old. This is worth a mention because many countries have foreigners that live in another country ( Like English in Spain ) for years and can speak the local language .  It is not a case of disinterest to learn or the lack of brain intelligence that creates this problem. It is like driving a car or playing golf etc. It is a skill that requires starting when young so that your body has a muscle memory and automatically reacts /responds accordingly. So if the person was not needing to learn new languages before 21 years old for example. The brain is now sealed off a lot of that automatic reaction to respond to learning and is also somewhat filled with all the stuff we need to survive in the world with just one language.

The next part that is that Spanish is not really spoken the same in different parts of Spain like the Scotish and the Welsh may consider themselves as not really speaking Kings English. Apart from Catalunia & Valencia the rest of the provinces more or less speak the same Spanish language. However I am fluent and I struggle with accents as I go to Cadiz from Murcia for example. Madrid is normally OK but they also change a few words.

Advice about restaurants" carte" or menu as we call it! Every 20 kilometers or less the same dish will hav a completely different name. My family was served "Lomo" Fish in Madrid where elsewhere it is pork for example. However if this language barrier is a big step? Just persevere with practicing it and never worry about making a fool out of yourself because that is how we can learn better and make living abroad smoother. Also try to understand the humor may be similar but the cultures of time keeping and business ethics can be words apart. The words in a shop that say guaranteed for 2 years is extremely rare in most places to honor warranties without a lot of haste and haggling as you would in North Africa. It is better to be warned in advance so you don't think the shops are all bad. It is a culture you need to factor into normal way of life and in general you can return faulty items after you find original wrapping paper / box that the object was bought with. Strange but true differences. Take everything together in balance and Spain has a lot to offer in this ever more dangerous world.

@Cheryl English is not so universal as we think. Each country has it's own language.

Moderated by Bhavna 10 months ago
Reason : Please post only in english on the anglophone forum. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello everyone,

Please post only in english on this section of the forum so that everyone can understand. Should you want to post in Spanish, you are most welcome to do so here : Foro España

Thank you in advance

Bhavna

@Bhavna

Hi, I am new to forums and posts. I do not know how to tell what is public, or what is PM to the person whom I am answering to. For those that seen a Spanish reply. My apologies as I was informed by my message that someone had replied to me (Not saying replied publicly to me) My ignorance! Therefore I replied in Spanish knowing the person from where I used to live. In future I will keep to English and try to make less mistakes as I learn how to use this forum. Cheers everyone!

Hello Lovebeethoven,

Ok no problem at all. So, this forum is the anglophone forum and on Expat.com we have the Spain forum in 5 languages (accessible at the bottom, besides site map, you can swap language).

Each forum is distinct and members are required to write only in english on the anglophone forum, only in french on the francophone forum etc. This is so that  all members can fully understand what information has been posted on the forum.

If you want to share some info in another language with a member, you can do so by sending him a pm (private message) click on the member's username > send a message.

If you have any need for clarification or info, feel free to send me a pm (click on my username > send a message)

Have a nice day

Bhavna