Importing cars to Spain

Hello all,

Anyone imported their right hand car to Spain?

We have a Land Rover that we are thinking about importing.

What costs are involved?

What documents are needed?

I was told you need a Certificate of Conformity (COC) ??

And also that you need proof of purchase, but we brought it privately about 4 years ago and didn't get a receipt.

Look forward to any replies.

Thank you


it is not worth it at all to

bring in a car to spain.  Sell your car there and buy one already registered in spain.  You will be glad you did!


Like @Lmflmf1, I've heard it's a bit of a bureaucratic nightmare. But I've done this elsewhere in the EU (Bulgaria) and it wasn't as painful as I expected - although I did pay an agent to handle it for me.

Your RHD vehicle will need new (LHD) headlights, and these tend to be expensive, especially for a Range Rover. As the UK is now outside the EU, there will be import duties and VAT, which could be a good chunk of dosh. However, there is an exemption (I believe) for "Transfer of Residence", if you can provide suitable paperwork for your previous UK residence, and your new Spanish residence.

Quick search for Spanish agent on this issue gives some info:

@TinaChico You can apply for tax exemption if you've had your TIE for less than 12 months at the time you import the car.  But if you've had your TIE or other VISA longer than 12 months, you'll need to pay import duties etc.  Depends on the age of the car and emissions etc,  your average 10 to 20k car, you'll be looking at around 2000 to €4000.  You can ask for the CoC from a UK dealer or search online as companies do this for you for around €200.  The company you use to do the import will also get you the Spanish log book and technical certificate mostly included in the approx 2 to 4k costs.  You can ask for temporary green plates for around €200 so you can insure and use the car here and then need to make an import itv appointment.  Make sure you don't have added side bars or bull bars other than original equipment else you'll fail the itv.