Cars in Spain

Hello,
We are hoping to move to Spain this year and we want to take our English Land Rover with us. Is there any restrictions or a maximum time that an English vehicle can stay in Spain?

Does anyone know anything about British driver's licences and are they valid in Spain?
I am hoping that we don't have to take a driving test in Spanish.
Any advice greatly received

Hi,
You can drive for up to the first 6 months automatically on your UK license.  Then after 6 months you just needed to register it with the spanish DGT (Canje), so you would be registered in their system for penalty points, etc.. but still able to use your current license. 
I think this process might have changed now due to Brexit.
Below is a link to their website in english explaing things now.
https://sede.dgt.gob.es/es/permisos-de- … dex.shtml#

I just transferred my license a few months ago.  You don't have to do a driving test, it is more just and eye, test, hearing test, basic physical test and then a computer game test on a conputer (just trying to keep the car within two lines).  Quite straight forward, but might be best to have a translator if required or else see if there are any english speaking companies offering this service now.

I hope the above helps.

Declan

Hello Tina,

According to the law you can drive a foreign vehicle in Spain during 6 month. After this period you have to register the vehicle in Spain.

Unfortunately the rules have been changed from the 1st of January 2021 referring British driver's licences. As United Kingdom is not a member of the European Union anymore, British driver's licences are only valid during 6 month. We understand that this can cause a lot of complications for British people willing to move to Spain, but at the moment this is the information that is published on the website of the General Directorate of Traffic (DGT). https://sede.dgt.gob.es/es/permisos-de- … dex.shtml#

thats a google search though i am sure a british licence is valid in spain. Insurance can be expensive there so may be worth while asking your insurer to insure it fronm uk
If you need help driving down to spain let me know as i have done it many times.
cheers
rob

If you are moving to Spain (that is you intend to set up home here) you basically need to start re-registering your vehicle straight away as it can take a while.

Most UK car insurance has a maximum of 60 or maybe 90 days validity in Europe so you will need to insure your vehicle in Spain too and that puts even more pressure on the re-registering process.

The driving licence thing has been in a state of flux because of the backlog of cases but I now think that Britons have to take the Spanish theory and practical driving test as UK licences no longer directly exchangeable.

Have a look at the gov.uk website or the Citizens Advice Bureau in Spain to get proper information. Things which were true a few months ago are no longer true but people tend to presume that their experience is current when it isn't.

From the gov.uk website
Driving in Spain
If you are resident in Spain and have not exchanged your UK licence for a Spanish one, your UK licence will continue to be recognised until 30 June 2021.

If you were resident in Spain before 1 January 2021 and registered your details with the DGT (Spanish Traffic Authority) before 30 December 2020, you must make an appointment with the DGT to complete the exchange of your UK licence by 30 June 2021. You will have to show proof you are registered as a resident at the appointment.

You will have to give your UK licence to the Spanish Traffic Authority at your appointment. They will provide you with a temporary driving permit (‘autorización temporal para conducir') to use until your Spanish licence is processed. This document is only valid in Spain and not in any other country

Read the Spanish Traffic Authority's guidance on how to get an appointment and the documentation you must provide (use the option in the top-right hand corner to translate page to English).

The rules for exchanging a licence have not been confirmed for those that did not register their details with the DGT or moved to Spain after 1 January 2021. We will update this page when more information is available.

Driving in the UK with a Spanish licence
You can use your Spanish licence in the UK for short visits, or exchange it for a UK licence without taking a test. We will update these pages if there are any changes to the rules, as soon as information is available.

Lost, stolen or expired UK licences
If you live in Spain, you will not be able to renew your driving licence in the UK. If your UK licence is lost, stolen or expired, you will need to apply to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) for a ‘certificate of entitlement' to be able to apply for a Spanish driving licence.

For information on driving in Spain, read our guidance on:

what you need to drive abroad
driving rules in Spain
Bringing a UK-registered vehicle to Spain
Read our guidance on taking a vehicle out of the UK.

If you register as a resident or spend longer than 6 months of the year in Spain, you must register your vehicle with the Spanish authorities and you may need to pay some taxes.

You may be exempt from some of these taxes. If so you will need certificates of exemption.

I brought my English car and matriculated it here. Because it is older and has a small engine there was no duty to pay but duty can be frighteningly heavy on a newer car and particularly on a bigger engine. You have to get Spanish insurance immediately once it is registered as a Spanish car. Many people will recommend buying a car here instead as the duty and costs of changing the lights, etc., can be eyewateringly high.

There's a website that will help you with switching your English licence for a Spanish one and tell you exactly what to do but effectively you need to have done the eyesight / hearing / reactions test fairly close to your appointment - it is only valid for a short period of time. The website makes the appointment, lists exactly what you need to take, and also supplies a letter to print off and give to the official, answering all the common questions and explaining you don't speak much Spanish. It was all very straightforward and I walked out with a temporary licence, my card arrived in the post very soon afterwards.

Thank you
Thats really helpful