Your first days in your home in Kuwait

Hello everyone,

Do you remember the first time you set foot in Kuwait? One of your main concerns must have been the settling down process in your new home.

Share your experience and tell us what it was like to find your new home in Kuwait and how the moving-in process worked for you.

How did you find it (with an estate agency, your company, social networks, friends) and how long did it take?

At that time, what were the most common housing options available in your area ? How did you narrow down your search?

Did you opt for a temporary housing solution during your first days in Kuwait?

What are the main differences you noticed with your home country when it comes to the type of housing and formalities to settle in, etc.?

What struck you the most when you first moved in? Were there any challenges that you faced? If yes, how did you overcome them?

Is there any piece of advice that you would like to give to future expatriates to make their new place feel like home?

Thank you for your input.

Cheryl
Expat.com team

well, this takes me back :P

my first day in Kuwait, i pooped myself! understandable, as I was just born haha.

Jokes aside, having lived in Kuwait my whole life, and coming back to it as an employee, then leaving it for greener pastures now, I do have a bit of a deep understanding of how to find an apartment in Kuwait.

Firstly, i'd say avoid agents. unless you can afford it.

Second, drive around the area you want to live in, and just look for "rent" ads, granted, some landlords are lazy and dont remove those ads, but it is always worthwhile to give them a call.

Sweeten the pot; yes unfortunately, gratuity is expected sometimes, unless you are renting directly from the owner, my last apartment in jabriya, loved that place, hated to leave because of how awesome it was, I had gone to the company that owns the property, so i did not pay any gratuity, but lets say you call a "haress" (Guard) and they say, no availability, you can slip em something and say, what about nearby buildings, or please let me know when it does open up, or hold it for me (if it is available) until I make a downpayment, which is usually either half months rent or full month, and it is either repaid to you, or knocked off against your last month at the property.

Always ask for a fit-out period! when you can start moving in your stuff. It is usually a week, or two, and it is free, so you can start moving in without having to pay for rent at two properties simultaneously.

Now, some free advice. Always opt for a place with an assigned parking spot, if you can. Also, amenities, amenities, amenities! always look for those.

@Cheryl  It was the most unforgettable experience I have ever had! However unforgettable but the best I should say..It's been almost 8 years but still looks like yesterday..Only if I had chance to go back that's how I can summarize my experience, hospitable,the food,the employers🌹but above all the dollar exchange rate, best middle eastern countries in terms of finance!!.

Also born in Kuwait. I second everything legacy said.

Avoid land owners who ask to up-price the contract and take less. They do that so they can take loans on the property or sell it for more. It can backfire on you very easily.

If you manage to get a large apartment don't get large furniture to fill it up as it is very likely that you'll move one day and end up having to sell/throw away most of your stuff.

When looking for an apartment a good approach is to find a parking area (empty plot, supermarket parking, mosque parking, etc.), then look for flat-for-rent signs near it. Especially if your family has more than one car.

@Assaf84 what do you mean it can back fire on you so easily? What could be the repercussions? This was what actually happened when we first moved in to our current appartment.