Pet microchip services

I'm moving to the DR with my two cats.  They're both microchipped with the Home Again chip here in the US.  There's an annual fee to keep up the service, but I don't know if it's still good when the pets are outside of the US (are they still tracked/monitored in another country?). 

So, is there a similar service in the DR, and do we transfer our tracking to them? 

Should I pay the annual fee for Home Again even though we won't be in the US?

A pet passport requires microchipping, so there must be a service there, right?

Thank you!

Welcome to the forums!  Good question that no one has ever asked here.  I have no idea but hope someone else here will know!

I don't believe there is, most lost animals are found through Facebook, posters and flyers, but most importantly, moto drivers. The local community knows a lot about a lot, and if there is a reward involved, things get found very quickly. But a tag with your name and current phone number would help, too. As long as your pet is always wearing their collar.

We never paid for a microchip in the US. With Home Again, you can drop the Premium membership and annual fee, but continue to update your contact information with them.

Most vets here can scan lost pets, but many people who find animals don't take them to the vet to be scanned. As Uncle Buck said, they post on Facebook or put flyers up. Also, having a collar with current contact info is very helpful! I recommend getting one with your DR contact info ASAP! There are places here to get them engraved, but the selection can be limited. We've started using these and really like that, unlike traditional hanging ID tags, they can be read from a distance!

Thanks to everyone for your answers! and thank you, ddmcghee, for the alternate option.