Need advice on bringing dogs to D.R.

HELP!!!  I have 2 snub nose breed dogs (Boxers) and I do not want to leave them behind if/when me move to Sosua.  Any suggestions?  Has anyone done this before?  We currently reside in the U.S.A.

I PERSONALLY HAVE NEVER DONE IT BUT I KNOW YOU NEED TO GET A VET RECORDS AND AN INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL FORM FOR EACH DOG IN USA.

THEN THERE IS A FEE YOU PAY PER DOG HERE..$10???

ON RETURN THERE IS THE SAME FEE,AND SAME FORM.GO TO VET HERE AND GET ANOTHER TRAVEL FORM.. I WOULD CALL AIRLINES TO SEE.

AND DON'T LET YOU DOGS MINGLE WITH THE LOCAL DOGS JAJAJA.. YOU MAY END UP WITH A BUNCH OF POINTY EARED BOXERS

Hi ptopta!

Could you please avoid posting in caps lock so as it can be easier to read? :)

Thanks
Armand

ptopta has it right. We have brought our small dog back and forth many times.
You do need to make sure the rabies vac. is up to date (needs to be over 30 days and less than a year)  They do not accept the 5 year shot here.
There is also a form to be filled out by your vet at home and needs to be mailed to the USDA (your vet should know were or just google dog to the DR).  We have skipped this form a few times with no problem, but that is no guarantee it will work.
There is then a $10 fee to pay here.  Also know that if your dog is being shipped in the cargo hold the airlines will not ship them if the temp at either the sending airport or the receiving one is over 90 degrees, so shipping here in the summer can be hard.
Your dog needs to be less than 20 pounds including the carrier to fly in the cabin with you and the carrier needs to fit under the seat.  Most airlines charge $100 or more and only allow one dog per cabin.
But yes it can be done and is done all the time.

BObK

i have trouble seeing. i am sort of blind

ptopta wrote:

I PERSONALLY HAVE NEVER DONE IT BUT I KNOW YOU NEED TO GET A VET RECORDS AND AN INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL FORM FOR EACH DOG IN USA.

THEN THERE IS A FEE YOU PAY PER DOG HERE..$10???

ON RETURN THERE IS THE SAME FEE,AND SAME FORM.GO TO VET HERE AND GET ANOTHER TRAVEL FORM.. I WOULD CALL AIRLINES TO SEE.

AND DON'T LET YOU DOGS MINGLE WITH THE LOCAL DOGS JAJAJA.. YOU MAY END UP WITH A BUNCH OF POINTY EARED BOXERS

Thanks.  If they come, they will remain there with us as we plan to move there.  In regards to puppies, both of my babies are fixed (spayed & neutered).  I do dog rescue in the U.S. so that is the first thing I do for our rescue dogs. :)

Bob K wrote:

ptopta has it right. We have brought our small dog back and forth many times.
You do need to make sure the rabies vac. is up to date (needs to be over 30 days and less than a year)  They do not accept the 5 year shot here.
There is also a form to be filled out by your vet at home and needs to be mailed to the USDA (your vet should know were or just google dog to the DR).  We have skipped this form a few times with no problem, but that is no guarantee it will work.
There is then a $10 fee to pay here.  Also know that if your dog is being shipped in the cargo hold the airlines will not ship them if the temp at either the sending airport or the receiving one is over 90 degrees, so shipping here in the summer can be hard.
Your dog needs to be less than 20 pounds including the carrier to fly in the cabin with you and the carrier needs to fit under the seat.  Most airlines charge $100 or more and only allow one dog per cabin.
But yes it can be done and is done all the time.

BObK

Thank you Bob- My concern is the fact that they are snub nosed breeds and I can;t seem to find an airline that will fly them.  I was hoping someone there has done this & could recommend a carrier. Also, quick question.... When do you generally fly with your doggie (months- due to the weather) and also cargo or under seat?  My dogs weigh 60lbs & 82lbs so under seat is not an option for me, lol!

I checked aa does not fly boxers I did not know there are certain dogs airlines do not fly. I  flew a shar pei all over the place. it had its own card.jajaj  it probably did 25,000 miles flying. first time at 12 weeks from alaska

Affenpinscher
Bulldog (All breeds)
Lhasa Apso
Pug (All breeds)

Cane Corso
Mastiff (All breeds)
Shar Pei

Boston Terrier
Dogue De Bordeaux
Pekingese
Shih Tzu

Boxer (All breeds)
English Toy Spaniel
Pit Bull
Tibetan Spaniel

Brussels Griffon
Japanese Chin
Presa Canario

are the breeds airlines don't like.. they must have changed because i flew mine all over.

What did you ever find out about this?  I too have a Boxer and will be moving to the DR, but have researched all Airlines that would ship her to no avail.  I've even searched for a ferry that would take her from the US to the DR.  Any and all help would be appreciated!

Hello cburd86

You can contact Dogs and cats of DR for more info.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/DCDRLuperon/

Great!  Thank you!

Great answer Bob. We just did it in November. Health certificate was $139.99, in cabin airline tickets were $125 each way, $10 in and out of STI. No one in the states even looked at the paperwork. But, they did at the Santiago airport. We also had to get another paper from DR officials at airport to take her back out of the country.

She is a 5lb MinPin.

We are in the process of getting our paperwork, in Canada, in order to bring our dog with us in January. But was wondering what paperwork do we need to take her back home after our 3 month visit? I thought we just needed our paperwork we brought her in with. Coming in through Puerto Plata.

To leave the country you need a health certificate from a vet here. Cost is about $25 US. Not a big deal and most vets here can do it for you. Both Dr Bob and Dr. Delacruze  in Sosua will do them. We do it all the time.  You also will need to pay a $10US fee at the airport when you leave (this can actually be paid with 400 pesos as well)
Bob K

Thank you. You are a great source of information.

You are welcome. 

Bob K

N we were there in November, the official that signed us into the country told us to bring back the letter from them when we left and we would not need another health certificate. Maybe because we were only there for 10 days. But, better safe than sorry.

That may be the case but I would be prepared just in case you needed a new certificate.  Plus in the US they may require it to bring the dog back into the US.  I know we need to show the dogs paperwork everytime we enter the US.  So it may not just be a DR thing when you return.

Bob K

Agree 😊. To tell you the truth, for as much trouble as we went through to get all the paperwork, I was a bit upset that no one in Indy or Newark airports even cared.  The DR quarentine people were the only ones. But, you are correct. If they tell you to get it, you should get it.

Christie, it could be they didn't care because they think its ridiculous the trouble and expense people go to over their pets.  Its amazing.

Colonel obviously you have never had a pet that you really cared for.  Your loss

Bob K

My wife and I are planning on traveling to Punta Cana (again) later this year and wish to bring our Jack Russell, who is very cool and laid back.  Anyway, we are simply curious whether anyone has had any experiences bringing their dog through the airport at Punta Cana versus Santo Domingo? [One website indicated that you could only bring your dog through the airport at SD, but the information seems old.]

By the way, Bob's share of information is very helpful.

Thanks,

Paul

I live in Cabarete, but I have spent many years in and out of Punta Cana from USA, with our  kid, FAT FACE.  13lb mix.  Never had a problem bringing her in or out of PC.  Just be sure ur rabies and health certificates are in order and ur OK.

Thank you very much!

In November, 2017, we flew with our small dog into and out of Santiago. She flew in cabin. It was not inexpensive and it took some time to arrange. Microchip, health certificate, shots, vet check, and tickets. $30 chip, $140 health certificate, $80 shots/vet, $250 in tickets r/t. You also have to get a certificate for the exit/return-in other words you needed two, one for each way. The certificates have to be signed by the USDA.

You need to check and see if your breed of dog can fly-at least in US. There are restrictions on breeds that have flat/snub faces, that may result in breathing problems.

I hope things go well for you.

I haven't moved yet, but I have a friend in the US that owns a pet transferring service and I know of another. They will fly or drive the dogs anywhere. I'm sure there are plenty of private services that you can find online.
Thank you everyone for this information! We will be moving in a few months and I will have a maltese to fly down. This information is very helpful.

I am also planning to move to Sousa this August and have found so much conflicting information. the two biggest ones are:
1) Dogs MUST fly into Santo Domingo. That is not an issue since we have friends that can come get us, but I would prefer to fly into Puerto Plata or Santiago. Do I have to fly her through Santo Domingo?
2) From the US, do I need to go through the extra step of sending the health certificate to the USDA or the state department? I ask because not only is that pricy but it can take a while. Everything I read says the health certificate must be no more than 10 days before flying.

Thank you so much for your help!

We brought our dog in through Santiago last November, via coach. She had to have a ticket for both ways, be microchipped, and have a USDA certified health certificate from the US. Then, Dr. Bob checked her before we left. I believe we had another certificate to get back home. I do not recommend trying to cut corners or skirt the system. The states could not have cared less. But the RD checked everything.

The health certificate was $149. Chip was $20. Tickets were $125 each way.  We had to Fed Ex it both ways to the USDA in Kentucky to make the 10 day deadline work. We probably will not bring her back until we have a longer timeframe that we stay. Not really worth it for a week.

Traveling with your pet to the Dominican Republic is easy! You'll need to get a health certificate issued and signed by a licensed veterinarian. The certificate needs to contain the name and address of the owner, and complete identification of the animal (name, breed, sex, and age). Make sure it is certified by the Agriculture Department of your State and Apostilled by the State Government.

Have your pet examined within 30 days prior to departure and found to be free of any infectious diseases, and treated for external and internal parasites. Your pet also needs to be vaccinated against rabies. (The rabies vaccination Certificate should include date of vaccination, established period of immunity, product name and serial number.)

And there's a form on the website you will need.

from fido.com

It is not as easy as that. There is a lot of coordination involved. And, it is 10 days before departure, not 30. They also need to be microchipped. Not every state has a USDA so the paperwork often needs to be fedexed, overnight to make deadlines. The form needs to be DR specific. You also have to coordinate with the airline when you purchase the tickets (2), 1 for there and 1 for return for each pet. Most airlines only have spots for 4 in cabin animals. If the temperature is 85 farenheit or above, animals cannot fly in the hold. Your pet carrier must be airline approved. And, some snub nosed breeds cannot fly. At least in the US
I
There great vet in Sosua that can help you with the return paperwork, should you need it. His name is Dr. Bob.

It can be done. And, it is nice to have your animal. But easy is not the operative word. Planning, details, and coordination are.

Does the paperwork for the animal need to be translated, or can it be in English?

Where are you finding the information that the dog needs to be microchipped? I'm not seeing that anywhere. The airline said that it is recommended but that there's no requirement for it.

It seems like it's going to be a hassle, but my son won't want to travel without his dog.

Microchipping is not required.  https://www.bringfido.com/travel/intern … n_republic

You are correct. But some vets require it. Here is a great website with lots of info.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-tr … travel-faq

I have been researching this day and night since we have 3 dogs that we're trying to transport. Try www.ipata.org.   There is a lot of info there for pet transport companies.  I believe it'll cost more, but it's all they do. After all of my research, I didn't realize that it was $150 round trip for the dogs.  Thanx for that.

same omg I am traveling to dr soon and I have a shi tzu and im well aware there breathing tubes are tiny AND IM SCARED

ugh I have a shi tzu

Welcome to the forums. This is an old thread and the information may not be current.

The last thing the D.R. needs is more dogs

US insists on a permit for dog re-entry starting july 14 (?) or thereabouts