Adopting a pet in Dominican Republic

Hello,

Are you a dog or a cat person? A pet can add life to a home and make an ideal travel companion during your expatriation in Dominican Republic.

However, formalities or regulations might put you off traveling with your pet making adoption a better option.

Are there any particular rules or procedures for the adoption of an animal in Dominican Republic?

What are the costs associated with adopting a pet in Dominican Republic?

Are there different procedures depending on the animal?

Are pet-sitting options available?

Have you ever adopted a pet in Dominican Republic? Is he or she still with you today?

Thank you in advance for your feedback,

Loïc

Adopting dogs and cats here is simple. There are dozens of rescue groups spread all over the country.  Each has their own "rules"

There are thousands and thousands of animals needing homes.  If you want a pet just look on Facebook for rescue groups, talk to a neighbor who will know someone who has puppies etc. 

Be aware that many animals are not vaccinated or cared for properly.  Vets are mostly inexpensive here. 

Spay and neuter clinics are run by rescue groups all the time.  Get your pets fixed. Sponsor street animals for the clinics.  Help fix the problem. You must also medicate routinely for fleas and tics! And we don't have Lyme disease tics here.

Also understand if you are looking for a pure bred pet - this country is fairly small. In breeding is rampant and is destroying the health of many animals. Be careful who you buy from.

Adopt a street animal.  They are referred to as " vira latas"   they are often smart survivors of the streets andake great pets!

planner wrote:

Also understand if you are looking for a pure bred pet - this country is fairly small. In breeding is rampant and is destroying the health of many animals. Be careful who you buy from.

Adopt a street animal.  They are referred to as " vira latas"   they are often smart survivors of the streets andake great pets!

Absolutely.  ViraLatas make the best pets ever. They are very loving and attentive and fiercely protective of the family who adopted them.

Best of all, you don't have to pay an arm and a leg for them.

We had a couple viralata's "over for dinner" on our last visit. A mom and pup followed us home from the beach...and we are suckers for a sweet face!  The pup stayed the night and enjoyed our patio couch.  Lots of sweet dogs on the street, and some you need to be cautious with.

And thank you for the new word!  :)

Yes, thanks for the new word - viralata - a coupleof the nicest dogs I have seen are local street dogs - forever having pups, but the pups are quickly adopted/gone. The small dog my wife got while on my last trip to Alberta was ncie. I found the vet services here are pretty good and a fraction of the cost in Canada. Had all the shots on our little critter. Unfortunately, my wife decided she didn't really like him and found relative that took him and with him went the Vet record book so I don't have the costs of all the shots available.

We adopted our dog from an adoption agency in Bavaro almost 4 years ago.  She has been an excellent pet so far.  Having had some great dogs in the past, german shepards, labs, I can tell you that this dog is very intelligent, kind, loving and gentle.  She gets away from the property every once in awhile (bored) but always finds her way back in an hour or so.

Sadly there are ALWAYS way too many puppies being born.  That is why many of the rescues focus on spay and neuter!

I am currently looking for a new viralata!    He or she needs to be small - because of shoulder issues under 10 pounds when full grown.   I like the little fur balls best and DO NOT like Chihuahuas.  AND does not need to be a puppy,  can be an older dog, just small.

If you see any, let me know......

Diakimyi  The animal shelter in San Cristobal I support always has a few.  They depend strictly on donations to do what they do.
They are also play a large role in San Cristobal streets having very few strays.

https://www.facebook.com/diakimyiprotec … cristobal/

Thanks,  I  just checked out their page and will contact them as well.

I intend to bring 2 cats with me I have had for 13 and 14 years . I have started to research what vaccines they need and what examinations they need. To make the trip less stressful I will be driven from Tampa to Miami where I can then get a direct flight to then RD .  Any feed back on brining pets to the RD and your experience is greatly appreciated

Welcome to the forums David! 

There is a whole process for bringing your pets.  It's been covered on here, do a search and you should find it,!

I've been bringing my pets to the DR from Canada for the past four years.  It's not difficult but timing is important.  You will need to have your local vet fill out an international travel document, which you can get on line.  This has to be done more than six months prior to travel.   Your pets vaccines, particularly rabies, must be done no less than thirty days prior to travel.  Once that document is completed you must have your local federal animal and food inspection agency review and stamp that dodument not more than ten days prior to travel.  Then you are good to go.   Once you arrive in the DR.  You must take that document to the animal inspection office which is located in the airport.  They charge a fee of approximately  $20 USD per pet to enter the country. 
When you leave the DR you must follow the same procedure. 
Be extra mindful of flea and tick prevention.  My Shitzu died last year from erichliosis even though I was using bravecto.  I was devastated.
When I'm done grieving I will most definitely adopt a DR dog.

Correction to my post...travel docs have to be done NO more than 6 months prior to travel.

Well there is so much to be said about this.. After living there for 4 years and being heavily involved in pet rescue work let me say this to start: PLEASE if you bring your dog or cat to the DR and then decide to return to your native country again DO NOT LEAVE YOUR ANIMAL BEHIND!!!

The poor abandoned by expat dogs I saw was so heartbreaking! One example was Chico, left behind by an Italian family at their place of work in downtown Las Terrenas, he waited every day for them to return. When I found him starving to death being fed such small amounts of food by neighboring businesses and heard his story I knew we had to do something quick.  Big as he was we put him on the back of a motorcycle and took him to a local rescue already overwhelmed with so many other dogs and cats. He lived, happily for about 2 more years.

There are so very many abandoned  cats and dogs not to mention the number of abandonmed litters kittens and puppies left in the trash often rescued by a kind soul. The kittens usually don't make it as there is a shortage kitten milk to help them make it.

If you don't have a dog or cat when you decide to move to the DR then PLEASE consider visiting your local vet or local rescue group! Their are so many waiting for a better life! Dominican dogs are super cool dogs, especially the former street dogs. They usually get along with other dogs and people. They are very loyal also. I rescued so many but there were always more waiting behind them. So many dogs abandoned on the beaches and streets. Please if you want a dog consider taking in 2 or 3 and I promise you won't regret it!

There is an amazing rescue group called Dogs and Cats of the Dominican Republic located on the North Coast but they also operate in other areas. They help send dogs/cats to Canada and the US to be adopted.  It's so easy to adopt an animal in the DR.....If your staying there just claim your animal from a local rescuer, go to your local vet and get it vaccinated and either neutered or spayed to help prevent continuing the overpopulation problem on the island.

If you do decide to leave the island PLEASE take your Coconut Hound with you!! Its not hard!! I brought my dogs down and back and back again! I recently brought back one of our street rescues. All that is required is to get to your vet in advance of your trip and have your pup/cat get a well check and the needed travel papers the airline requires! It's that simple! Then you and your beloved pet don't have to suffer the heartbreak of loss...Believe me when you abandon your pet especially a dog, they grieve deeply and for up to six months. You abandon them which means besides grieving your loss they also are at serious risk of starvation,  disease, being poisoned or hit by a car! You meanwhile will have no idea. Please don't do this to a poor animal that gave you its heart!

I hope this convinces you to do the right thing if you adopt an animal in the DR.....

If you have any questions for me please ask....Rescue is so in my heart, if I can help save a dog then let me know....You won't regret adopting a Coconut Hound or Cat!!

PS if your worried about bringing an animal back due to climate change don't,  they adapt well....

Good luck!  Remember a pet is not an object like a piece of furniture but a living breathing creature with feelings and need, treat them as such! Thank yoi!

Great post! I can't imagine leaving a pet behind, but people do, and we've seen it ourselves. We have been involved with some of the pet rescues in Las Terrenas that are doing great work! We'll have a 4Runner and portable dog pens for transportation of pets when needed, once we get to Las Terrenas and get settled this Summer. Reach out to me via IM if you wish.  We will be adopting a couple of viralata's I'm sure!

Great reply there!! Thank you for being such a good soul....Look up Brenda Van den Bosch, Coco Dog, Enrique the vet.....So much need....Thank you for caring!

Hey - this is Mrs. RockyM here!

We know Brenda well! We've helped out with kennels and brought leashes and collars on each of our last few visits (as well as licorice for Brenda!). I'm looking forward to helping with outreach once our Spanish improves!

Never heard the word viralattas in four plus years there!!! We called them street dogs or beach dogs and after joining forces with DCDR we called them Coconut Hounds/Cats....they are very popular in Canada....No matter what you call them PLEASE consider adopting a few!!! Thx

I need a service dog. I will look up the policy regarding these type of pets. But, I really appreciate the information given regarding the subject of having pets, buying pets, and bringing pets. I would be interested in buying a dog here, however, I'm allergic to most dog fur (and cats), thus, I need a dog with hair vs fur.
This rules out most adoptions, unless I'm able to find this kind of dog in a shelter.  This has been possible in the US. Thanks again for all of the information.
Welcome to the forums.  Adopting here is easy. 

Buying a service dog may not be easy here.  I have not heard of anyone or any group training service dogs.
Hi:)
I had a German Shepard, she passed already.  But, she was short haired shephard and everyone that had allergies to dogs, no one complained about her. The island of Dominican Republic absolutely loved her and I had to register her as a support dog,..... so she would not have to fly in cargo.... first class, three front seats. I would recommend a short hair dog for you. I also have a Pit Bull mom that has puppies, and I have not met anyone yet that are allergic to those dogs, and, Pit Bull dogs are amazingly kind and smart and hungry:), but........ they love to swim in ocean with dolphins at 5:45 am, and... walk to beach, and will never let anyone push you around if you are good to them. him or her:)

@planner yes, I understand. I mean to bring one from the states.

Got it honey
@nomadlife21

Bringing in a dog from the US is probably your best bet! I've done some googling this morning and haven't found anything concrete on service dog training here.  One thing I would highly recommend is to make sure your dog has a 3-year rabies shot while in the US to make it easier if you need to travel back home. The CDC has created a bunch of hoops to jump through when taking a dog into the US from DR and other countries it considers high risk for rabies. Having the longer US Rabies certificate will come in handy.

@Loïc how do I take a stray kitten back to the uk

@Loïc how do I take a stray kitten back to the uk
-@billysmokes1

You'll need to research the UK rules for importing animals as well as any airline restrictions.