The pet culture in Dominican Republic

Hey everyone,

Pets are an integral part of a lot of families. So much so that they would never consider moving abroad without them. Before doing so, it would be important to know the pet culture in Dominican Republic just to make sure that their little “expets” feel welcomed in their new homes. Would you give our expats-to-be an insight of what it is like to have a pet in Dominican Republic by answering the following questions?

What part do pets play in society in Dominican Republic? Are they generally accepted in rentals and public spaces more generally?

Is it common for families to have pets?

What animal is the most often kept as pets? Are there some animals that cannot be kept as pets? Do some animals have specific significations when kept as pets?

How about the infrastructure needed to cater for pets? Can you find everything you need for your pet in terms of pet food, veterinary services, accessories, pet grooming etc...?

Do people generally spend a lot of money on their pets?

Please share your experience,

Priscilla

By and large the average Dominican( across the length and breadth of the country in rural areas and small towns as well as cities) may have dogs, cats and more likely cockerels, and possibly mules and horses but more for transport in the latter case. I am sure a wider range of pets is there but haven't seen much in my years living here other than fish and the odd parrot. Dogs are often kept for security purposes but more often than not allowed to roam free. It is not unusual to see dogs and cats mistreated including being kicked when in the way. Cockerels get best treatment by the men and a good one is prized. Pitbulls and Rottweilers are popular dogs for security and often untrained so beware.

Increasingly the growing middle class Dominicans are keeping pets and especially the smaller dogs. Dogs are classified by number rather than breed in general. The small dogs are number ones and so on. Now in Santo Domingo it is not uncommon to see some  Dominicans walking their dogs and yet others fenced in their dogs 24/7. Cleaning up dog mess is not something commonly done so caution when walking along footpaths and roads. I find the dogs a damn nuisance in residential areas at night, especially the small dogs which seem to yap incessantly.

A lot of hotels do not allow pets.

Expats stand out as different in how they look after and train their pets, but then again it is so annoying to see some of them walk their dogs daily along the wonderful beaches of Las Terrenas for example and not clean up the dog mess!

It is uncommon to see what I consider to be the better dog breeds here, such as Labradors, except with expats and well off familes, and to be honest this is not a country where pet dogs and cats are sufficiently respected yet so don't automatically expect best treatment when out and about with your pets. I've seen several advertisment hoardings across the country recently promoting better treatment for pets rather than pet abuse.

There are vetinery services and outlets across the country and many of them are associated with the argricultural merchants. There are good vetinery services in the areas where expats reside and in the city.

First thing to understand is that many live in poverty here.  Subsistence is common. So pets are not treated as many foreigners would treat them.

They are often fed table scraps, whatever there is. There is often no medical care for them either.

The treatment of animals is starting to change.  Many Expat rescue groups operate here.

Recently laws were passed regarding animal abuse!  And there is some enforcement of these laws.

Bringing your pets here is common.  They are widely accepted in rentals here. They are not widely accepted in hotels or resorts.

Buying new pets here - be very very careful as inbreeding is rampant!

There are lots of vets and most foods etc are available.

Well, I have never imported a pet from Europe, so our Rockey is not realy an Expet. But he is my friend and has been for more than elleven years now. Yes the photograph was taken a long time ago.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-DLWTVoX-CtM/XIZwUI2HJMI/AAAAAAAADPs/hrlHc8XNlL8fzRQYPT8YEcoW-wOOJSm4QCLcBGAs/s1600/Rocky.jpg

Dominican people do not generally keep their dogs in the house or in the garden. The dogs just live on the streets, sometimes with regular food, sometimes not.
Rockey is a half-breed pittbull and as I mentioned, my friend. He lives in our small garden and has a proper dog-house. We take care of him, and he guards our house for us. Well, he did when he was younger. When my wife fell into a construction pit, long time ago, he was the first to try and pull her out, knowing that would be impossible, he still tried. (She got out unharmed, thank you.)

Rockey is getting old now,  losing his eyesight, his signature bark and his hearing. This may mean he will become dangerous, if he does not recognise one of us. So we are keeping a keen eye on him, talking to him all the time we are near. He is friendly and enthousiastic when he smells, hears, feels me, a little less so towards my wife. We will take care of him with a lot of love and affection, until the end.

I fear that soon we will have to go see a vet for Rockey. (I just had to take a break here).

We will get us another Pittbull, as they are very faithful and not as dangerous as they are made to be in the press. Protective yes, dangerous, absoluterly not. You have to get to know them though! The pittbull will guard you and your house better than any alarm system ever could. He will be your friend for as long as he lives and is aware of his surroundings. But please do nor treat him like Dominican people often treat their dogs. Give him a home and make him part of your family, he will be forever grateful to you.

A topic very dear to my heart. I do rescue work in LT.  My experience is that expats as a rule take good care of their pets. But some expats do not! When they leave they abandon their dogs sometimes on the street or leave them at the former home to fend for themselves. Others abandon them at the local vets office.

There is a problem with too many abandoned dogs left to roam the streets. We as rescuer's try hard to spay and neuter them at spay/neuter clinics sponsored by volunteers. Its a heartbreaking reality here.

There is a dog grooming place here with Coco Dog vetinary clinic. Thete are two vet clinics here. So good care is available if desired. Many locals can't afford it though so again as a rescue person its hard to see the reality of dogs not well cared for here. It is often upsetting to visitors to see this so best to be prepared. Someone warned me before coming and glad they did.

This is not the happiest post but its a realistic one. Maybe if you come here instead of bringing a dog come rescue one! And when you leave take it with you or at least have it spayed or neuteted! Help solve the problem not contribute! Thanks!