RNE based on Brazilian Child, expires in Nov. 2023

Hello, we had a child in Brazil, whole family received our RNE but have since moved out of Brazil. They expire this November and I understand they no longer exist and it is a Migration card now. Do I need to live in Brazil again to receive this card, or can I visit, reapply in Brazil? If you have experience or knowledge on this, that would be great. My oldest son turns 18 in August so we want to get this done before he is 18.

02/15/23  @BrasilCanada, if you've been out of Brazil for over two years without coming back, then your residency has expired anyway, whatever the card says.  If you return to Brazil with your son to live before he turns 18, you, your spouse, and any minor children may be able to obtain new CRNMs, but as visitors, you're probably back to Visitor Visas.

None of this affects your Brazilian son's status.  If you've made sure over the years that he always has a current Brazilian passport, then there probably isn't a lot extra to do for now, although he'll need to regularize his status with the Consulate shortly after his birthday with respect to voting and military service, both of which will probably be excused because he lives "abroad".  If he doesn't have a passport, it's probably not too early to contact the Brazilian Consulate responsible for your province.

@abthree Thanks, my son does have his brazilian passport. Since we would apply for PR based on child, we would need to make an appointment with the PF and "start over". Do I need an address in Brazil to reapply? I guess so, since it is based on residency?

02/15/23 @abthree Thanks, my son does have his brazilian passport. Since we would apply for PR based on child, we would need to make an appointment with the PF and "start over". Do I need an address in Brazil to reapply? I guess so, since it is based on residency?
-@BrasilCanada

You'll certainly need some kind of address.

The legal situation that the Federal Police will be looking for is this:  Your Brazilian son, who lives in Brazil, is calling ("chamando") your family to live with him in Brazil.  In the law he's called the "Chamante" for that reason.  Last time because he was an infant, it was symbolic and it was assumed that the family would be living where he was born; this time he'll be on the spot.

If that's actually the plan, then there's no problem.  If the plan is to get CRNMs and then for everybody to go back to live in Canada, but everybody tells the truth, they'll just reject you, you'll need tourist visas for future visits which are no problem for Canadians, your son's status is secure,  no harm no foul.  If the plan is something else, then you should consider having a Brazilian attorney represent you from the very start of the process, to ensure that no one, and especially your son, finds themselves in the position of seeming to lie to the Federal Police. 

@abthree Thank you for this update.

My oldest son is turning 18 this August. We would like to move to Brazil and he would like to go to school in the USA while we live in Brazil and return during off times. Will he still be able to get his permanent residency under his brother while he is in school and under our guardianship? Thanks

04/24/23 @abthree Thank you for this update.
My oldest son is turning 18 this August. We would like to move to Brazil and he would like to go to school in the USA while we live in Brazil and return during off times. Will he still be able to get his permanent residency under his brother while he is in school and under our guardianship? Thanks
-@BrasilCanada

If he's a fulltime student under 24 years old and your dependent, and you receive a CRNM as a resident of Brazil, he should be able to, also.