Bank fraud?

Hi.

I am looking for suggestion of some print media that might be willing to publish my story in the Jombang region.

• currently live in Canada and will move to Indonesia in a couple years
  • contacted a regional bank in Jombang, asking if I could open a savings account before moving there
  • bank said they would need a copy of passport and 1 other ID to do this
  • i sent these ID as requested
  • over the next 2 weeks;
  • several emails requesting status went un answered
  • tried contacting on whatsapp - no replies
  • placed 3 phonecalls
  • asked to speak with bankrep who was handling my new account - they said he is not here, so i asked to speak with manager, they hung up on me
  • called back to speak with manager, immediately hung up on me
  • called 3rd time, explained i was opening new account and whi would i speak to, they hung up
  • next several phone calls went unanswered
  • i sent another email to the bank describing my problem, and if not reply in 3 days i was contacting the banking authority

• I contacted the banking authority OJK (indonesia financial services authority)
  • they replied with note saying to use whatsapp or to use a particular email address
  • i wrote out the issue, and expressed my concern about my ID as well as the lack of concern on the part of the bank. Who has my ID, and was it leaked out, and where is the person at the bank who was handling this, and why is bank purposefully ignoring this...
  • I had not heard back from the agency for a week, so I sent a note asking for status update or if they required more info -  ignored again
  • i sent another reminder a few days later - nothing

• ??WTH

The first thing to ask is 'is this a real bank?'

There was (and maybe still is) a fake bank using Bank National Indonesia (Not the real BNI) opening accounts for unsuspecting foreigners.

Next up is the documentation. Apart from some special (and useless to most expat accounts) you must have a valid KITAS or KITAP to open one.

Assuming you have not sent any money, hang around until you have the correct documentation and open one then. I generally recommend BCA for day to day banking as they have several advantages over other banks, but BNI or BRI if you have notable savings.

@Fred hi. thanks for the info.  my big concern is with the possible misuse of my ID. and not even the oversigjt agency seems to care.

If it's a real bank, no likely issue

If it's a fake, there is a potential for problems

PM the bank's details to me and I'll have a quick hunt

actually just a moment ago the oversigjt agency sent me a note to give more info and they will begin investigation.

In my opinion you are doing it all wrong.

You need to wait until you arrive in Indonesia and have your Kitas. Then go to any of the major banks in Indonesia such as BCA or Mandiri and only then open an account. With a Kitas you can open an account on the spot and get a debit card and possibly a credit card. For transferring funds from overseas to Indonesia you can easily do this almost instantaneously using Wise (formerly known as TransferWise) with the best exchange rates and really low charges.

However, doing it the way you are by opening an account long distance with a small regional bank, probably a second or third tier bank is unnecessary. It is much better to stick with one of the bigger banks. Banks like BCA and Mandiri are also a lot faster when it comes to transfers of funds from overseas.

I am Canadian, living in Indo but currently in Canada for a few months. I agree with the comment" wait till you get there." The systems and communication are challenging to deal with. You may not get answers from the department that is providing oversight. If  the ID is being used inappropriately, there is little you can do about it now. It is entirely possible that the "bank" is ligit but doesn't know how to deal with you.

Any where you go in the 3rd world countries' (pardon me if i offended any one by such classifications, only intended to explain my point) ,

Every Tom Dick  and Harry will ask for your passport. A small security guy refused me entry into a run down office he was guarding, unless I leave my passort.

If you resist or refuse they will be suspecious and they "may keep your passport details- take a picture when you are inside building  for unscrouplous intentions. They may think you are a 'high value catch'.

A VIP catch. The best thing is not to resist and just act as normal.

It is very common any where you go to ask for Passoprts as ID. You do ot have a National ID. 95% its ok to comply and passover your details.

If you are really worried change your passport details and get a new one.

@wyngrove60 i appreciate that maybe i have to wait until i am there.

thats not the issue.

the issue is a bank rep feom a regional bank requested ID in order to set up the account. since then, the bank refuses to talk to me about what happened to the visa and driver licence i had sent them.

It's hardly surprising. This is Indonesia and not a western country. Perhaps someone was trying to help and later realized you were not eligible to open an account. Personally, I would just forget about it all and open the account with a larger bank when you move here. It will probably be a complete waste of time trying to follow up and you will probably just get more frustrated. I am not sure what you mean when you sent them a visa. Also I assume you only sent them photocopies and not original documents.

@wyngrove60 yea scanned copies of passport and other id

i was afraid it was illegitimate. i never heard from the banker again for more than a week after sending the documents. so a assumed someine had used my id to do bad things.

I think it's unlikely, but that's the risk of trying to open an account in a foreign country from the other side of the world. Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it. You're the one holding the original passport and id's. I'd forget the whole thing. Just be sure to open a bank account with BCA (or Mandiri) when you arrive.