WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK ABOUT 'LOCAL' PRICES & 'OUTSIDER' PRICES?

Hello all,

I think everyone is going to have a different experience in Mauritius.

You will meet all types of local people just like in any country. Some will try to help you as much as they can  and some will try to rip you off.

But for now, I think we should all move on and get back to the original topic.

Let's avoid any personal comments/remarks.

Thanks,

Yoginee

Expat.com team

@shirley1421971 I dunno about this...I am a Euro-African who cut his teeth dealing in local markets. My wife is Malagasy from a modest background and she bargains  tough for breakfast and worse by lunchtime. Everything in Mauritius is negotiable , just go for it! When the vendor begins to plead you are offering something that will cause his wife and children to starve, you are getting near the right price.1f601.svg

@Yoginee

greetings

agree. but, you should not be supportive to people who seem to enjoy trashing locals.

hope you allow this post

love, rubelle x

@Rubelle , I think that Yoginee is correct.  Post #1 is about understanding why prices were not fair.  I believe that this issue has been addressed.  Most of the passionate responses seemed to answer the question "what you would do about different prices?" - which is off the original topic.  I would vote to close the original issue as "answered" and start a different thread if people want to continue the "what to do" question....

For me, I was only trying to address the "why" question...   I have no specific recommendation about what to do about that situation as I think that any individual people will react differently.

@prospectorland

howdy?

well, this thread has degenerated from prices differential to bashing locals. unacceptable!

what seems beyond comprehension is, sadly,  locals are being unfairly portrayed as being dishonest people always ripping off foreigners. that's not always the case here as Yoginee pointed out.

i have read solange's replies and, clearly, she has not been offensive, she was simply making her point about the poor treatment that locals are getting in this forum.

any way, have a nice day from the land of down under

RUBELLE

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your many messages on this topic.

But in view of some of the comments made and the messages we have removed, we feel it is necessary to close the discussion so as not to create new controversies.

I would also like to remind you that even if we disagree with other members, we must not forget the notions of respect and humility.

Thank you for your understanding and if you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact me by private message.

Have a nice day,

Mickael

Expat.com Team

Closed