Abmeldung/Taxes - BER Apartment - Living in London

I keep getting contradictory information here, so hoping someone can help.

I'm a German and UK citizen and have an apartment in Berlin that I use when visiting. I was told by a border agent a few years ago that, as a German citizen that owns an apartment in Berlin, I need to be registered at that apartment, which I dutifully did. I live and work in London and visit Berlin for less than 90 days a year.

I recently bought another apartment in Berlin which I have just started renting out, generating rental income. This is my first income in Germany.

Having never had income in Germany before, I phoned a tax advisor who was shocked that I was registered in Germany and said that that would generate all sorts of negative tax consequences and complications regarding my UK income and she advised me to re-register. She said she has many clients who own property in Germany which they use for themselves, but live abroad and aren't registered. She's now unreachable by phone or email.

So a few questions:

1. Can (or should) I de-register?

2. Does not de-registering make my tax situation any more complicated in terms of my UK income?

3. Could someone recommend an English-speaking tax advisor that actually knows what they're talking about, is contactable, and could help with my taxes?

Thank you for your help!

As far as I know (but Iam far from being an expert):

• You must register where you live or have a place to live available to you.
  • You are tax-liable with your entire world income if you have a place to live in Germany (whetheryou actually live there is immaterial).
  • Bilateral tax treaties can reduce the incidence of double taxation, so check the one with your country. Usually they give taxation rights for salary to the country where the work is mainly performed, and passive income (incl. rent) to the country where it accrues. You'll have to submit tax declarations in both countries anyway!

I recently posted links to the German tax adviser's trade associations, which have lists of all tax advisers, searchableby language skills and specialty. Search the forum for it!

Hi Matt

I have a job offer in Berlin but I need  registration and a home to go.

Would you let me use your address?

where and how much do you charge for rent warm for your homes?

I need a job and a home address to get my appointment at the embassy as I am from Scotland and as you know Brexit as messed thing up and made it hard to work in EU

can you help?

Danke

Miss Clare Troup

Hi Matt

Having a foot in both countries is not a big problem.

The UK and Germany have a tax treaty which deals with double taxation etc, the first step is to talk to HMRC in the UK, they are actually very helpful  and will advise you on the process.

If you need an English speaking Steuerberater just keep asking on the forum and directly, many of them do speak the language and finally talk to the Finanzampt, they will have guidance on what they need from the German side.

I am tax registered in both countries, I live and work here and pay NI towards my pension in the UK, once you get set up the system works well and I am not screwed regarding tax.

Finally, Deregistering here in my opinion will open a whole can of worms and complicate things to a mind numbing degree.

Good Luck

Rob

Hi Matt
I have a job offer in Berlin but I need registration and a home to go.
Would you let me use your address?
where and how much do you charge for rent warm for your homes?
I need a job and a home address to get my appointment at the embassy as I am from Scotland and as you know Brexit as messed thing up and made it hard to work in EU
can you help?
Danke
Miss Clare Troup
-@claretroup

Sorry to say, but registering at an address where you do not actually live is illegal (with penalties up to 50000€ for both registree and property owner!). Since discussing illegal acts is disallowed on this forum, please do not mention it any further. Thanks!

Instead, you must go the long and hard way (given the severe housing shortage in Berlin) of searching and renting an apartment yourself. As a foreigner without job, this will be very difficult!

If you need a confirmed residence without being able to search in Berlin for weeks or months, then book a hotel, hostel or short-term (serviced) apartment - the cost will be far higher than normal rents, but you have no choice!

Hi there  we moved to Germany from the UK a couple of years ago. I've had a LOT of tax issues. From my personal experience, living and registered in germany,  but having had uk income, this was a total disaster, like your German tax advisor warned you. I would follow her advice right away.

And from my understanding,  of which I am pretty certain is correct, you should register in the country where you live more than 182 days regardless of nationality, property etc. In your case that would be the uk.

Ps: my case was super complicated, even the finance dept here was confused. I spoke to wolfgang dietrich, his English is good, and he was a great help:https://www.muenster-stb.de/en/our-services/international-tax-law/