Your best culinary memory in France

Hello everyone,

As you know, every country has its own flavours and tasting the local cuisine is a great way to discover the culture of a destination. Whether it's a small typical restaurant to taste local dishes, a traditional meal in a local's home, street food or fast food, there is something for everyone!

So, which dish do you want to try in France?
Which dish has impressed you the most and when did you discover it?
Do you know how to cook it and share it with your family?

Thank you for your taste contribution ;)

Having been an au pair way back in the 70s, in the département de l'Allier, I had the opportunity to taste so many good dishes, new to my palate.  I loved the "daube" made with rabbit or hare, also the "paté de pomme de terre" which is unique to that region.  I'll focus on the pâté as the daube might be off-putting for non meat eaters.  Make short pastry for a pie.  Line a pie dish with half the pastry.  Finely slice potatoes and a little onion and place all in the pie dish (I add a couple of sage leaves), sprinkle with salt and pepper and roll out the other half of pastry to cover the pie.  Make sure it's tucked into the bottom layer.  Bake slowly (around 50' at 150°). When golden brown, remove from the oven.  Take a knife and cut around the 'lid' of the pie.  Remove lid and pour in a good helping of double cream.  Replace lid and return to the oven for another 10 '.  Serve warm with a good green salad dressed with vinaigrette.   

I could write forever about the wonderful meals I had in that family home.  The lady of the house always had house guests during the summer and I spent a lot of time in the kitchen.  She had a "cousine" who was vietnamienne, a fabulous cook especially for desserts, ile flottante, riz au lait aux fruits confits, soufflé au chocolat, tarte aux pommes, etc.  All prepared whilst smokng a gauloise cigarette, the ash of which never fell into what she was preparing.  I look forward to reading other culinary experiences ...

Hello CiliaAnn,

All mouth watering dishes. Do you prepare them for your guests now that you are back home ?

Regards,

Bhavna

@Mickael I want to try most everything France has to offer, minus the organ meats.  Sorry, no kidney or liver for me ... except for foie gras.  No tripe either.  I'm kind of curious about tete du veau ... maybe someday.

What's representative of France?  Bresse chickens, simply roasted.  Choucroux garni.  Cassoulet.

I literally can't forget the breads, pastries and coffee culture in France.

@jjvanore We're getting on that slippery slope too )) a new kitchen in a new country is always very memorable.