Hurricane updates

Hi,  I wanted to hear about how people fared during the hurricane. One, do people have dual pane glass windows that keep water out? If so, where did you get them? Two, did the people in Mennonite homes have any problems the other day with structure? The other day was a wake up call. Do people have suggestions?

Last, is anyone doing the thing where they have dirt and plants on the roof for insulations? Does that work here?

I too would like to know

Hi, I wanted to hear about how people fared during the hurricane. One, do people have dual pane glass windows that keep water out? If so, where did you get them? Two, did the people in Mennonite homes have any problems the other day with structure? The other day was a wake up call. Do people have suggestions?
Last, is anyone doing the thing where they have dirt and plants on the roof for insulations? Does that work here?
-@raquelana

We are in Cayo, half way between Belmopan and San Ignacio. High up on a hill. We got pummeled. First from the north, then from the south.  No damage to our house nor to outbuildings. But, we have about 40 trees down on our property.

some of substantial size. 4.5” of rain in about 8 hours or so. Luckily we don't ever have to worry about flooding.

We don't have double pane windows. Never had any issues with water getting in. But, we do have a  wide and covered verandah on all sides of the house. Double pane windows might be available at Peter's Glass in Spanish Lookout.

Before we moved to Cayo, we had a small Mennonite house on the Placencia Peninsula.

Second lot in from the beach with no one in front of us. The house sat on stilts, about 5' off the ground. First thing we did after buying the property in 1998, was install hurricane clips.

These likely saved our house after the Peninsula was hit by category 4 Iris,  in 2001. Our house came through unscathed. Storm surge came just under the floor boards.

I guess it also depends which builder you are using. For storm surge it'll depend which quadrant of the storm you are situated in.

Not sure about dirt and plants on the roof. Rot, critters etc. Better to insulate between zinc and ceiling, and in between walls.

40 trees, that is so sad. Sorry to hear about that. Thank you for the update. We are currently in Belmopan in a cement house- no problems the other day except water coming in through nice windows. Thanks for the tips.