Home schooling in Mauritius

Good day All,

We are looking at immigrating from Durban, South Africa. 

We are finding it difficult to get firm information on the possibility of continuing with home schooling when we arrive in Mauritius.  It is not clear if ex-pats are allowed the option to do home schooling in Mauritius.  Can anybody assist with contact details or website information where we can get the final verdict on this matter?  Thanks in advance, Pieter.

Hi Pieter,

I believe there is no home schooling in Mauritius. We also looked for home schooling before we moved over to Mauritius.

Expat children go to the International Schools. Because they have no right to go to the government schools. They are not locals, only local children have rights to go to the government Schools.

Kind regards,

Stefanie

Hello everyone

Some expat families choose to do homeschooling ! I hope they reach out. But it is not the norm

Concerning this point. I want to clarify things.. Public schools are open to everyone, that is their purpose, giving free access to education. They are "free" however they don't usually meet requirements of expats families (culturally, language (creole, french, english), curriculum, quality etc) that is why Expats opt for more appropriate alternatives.

Find out more in the following article : Education in Mauritius

Because they have no right to go to the government schools. They are not locals, only local children have rights to go to the government Schools.

I looking into homeschooling in Mauritius around 6 months ago. Apparently homeschooling is not legal in Mauritius and all kids of school age (up to 16 years old) are required to attend a school by law. I can't remember where I originally found this info but just searched again and found this -  https://wolseyhalloxford.org.uk/about-u … mauritius/

I need to say something here...Goverment school are not payable,they are free..If your papers and etc are ok ,you can apply for it.But most expats are applying for IPS,Northfields,Clavis,Bokage and etc...They are private schools. I think also during covid some of friends of my daughter didnt follow online classes of IPS but they switch to home schooling...I need to ask my daughter if ever she knows how her friend and her parents done it.

@pieterjvnieuwenhuizen

Hi Pieter. Please contact Suzanne at CambriLearn Homeschooling Mauritius. She is situated in Tamarin on the West Coast. She will gladly assist.

Regards

Mohsina Essa

formerly from PMB

South Africa

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : For security reasons, please share contact details through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

We are planning on enrolling our kids into an online school based in SA, at least till the end of the school year, we will make an alternative plan if needed later. Anyone know whether attending an online school is allowed in Mauritius?

@pieterjvnieuwenhuizen

hello Peter how are you?

***Bilal ,Port Louis

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : Promoting own services + contact details
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

My son is currently home schooling. He is using the Cambrilearn platform for online. (Cambridge Curriculum)

Homeschooling is not illegal here and is a much better option than to send your kids to public or private schools, as long as there's documentation to prove that your child is receiving an education.

Interpretation of the law. It states children have to be schooled up to the age of 16. The EDB have accepted home schooling for those families relocating to Mauritius.

Write a mail to the EDB and they will confirm in writing.