Wanting to move to Dominican Republic

Hello.

I am an IT professional in canada been considering opening an IT company in Dominican Republic.

Trying to get some ideas on things if possible,

Is there any needs in DR for an IT company

How do I get an idea on rates for the client an idea on cost for teachs?

I will be also out sourcing to Canada and United States

Thank you

Welcome to the forums.  What kind of IT professional / company are we talking about?  That's a pretty vague request for information.

IT company as in networking? IT as in development shop IT as in installation/repair?

I don't have much to go on here but I do work in the development field currently in Dominican Rep.

I do believe there is a lot of potential here for technology but I really need to know the field you're in... if you are doing development most of your clients would be government, the tourism industry and other medium size businesses for rates I would not charge that much less than Canada tbh as working for local rates would be a huge waste of time financially along with more than likely you bringing a lot of rare experience here which is an in-demand skill in this developing digital economy. If you have the right connections you will make more here than you would in Canada. I need clarification before i can help and offer real input..

@Dan Cole

I'm in the process of relocating to DR as well, and will for sure need a little IT support once there.  If you land and start, look me up & I'll be among your first new clients!

More info on exactly what you propose doing would be helpful.

@ Dane Cole,

Depends on what kind of IT support or development you plan to offer.

An FYI, people in this country are very intelligent. They are very experienced in all aspects of IT and the BIG IT companies and call centers already have a staff here local. Matter of fact, the Inuit and Turbo tax that we use to do our taxes, people here provide support to us and the accountants too while filing taxes.

I am sure you will be very successful once you are here, tap into right contacts and speak Spanish fluently. PM me once you are here, I will refer you.

Just read an interesting article published in Domincan Today.

Not sure if I'm allowed to share the link, so if it disappears, my apologies

dominicantoday.com/dr/expats-corner/2022/10/12/expert-states-that-its-possible-to-start-the-residency-process-within-the-dominican-republic/

Learning something new everyday, especially from this site. Thanks to everyone for all the great contributions.

Okay that article is very misleading.  The "author" is a well known BS peddling so called lawyer.

That option is available in specific circumstances only.  It's not widely available and often rejected!  This makes it seem like anyone can do this and it's completely misleading!

In addition, recent change of the person in charge there may have already changed this.  It's still a little unclear!

@ynotbdiving as Planner said, this article should not be taken as gospel! The only exceptions I have seen documented for starting the process here are for citizens of Haiti and Venezuela applying as refugees.

And there is no way I would be here in DR and send my passport to a consulate in my home country!

So, I can speak to this because it happened in a round about way with my parents last year. The 4 of us (2 couples) applied together in Canada however, my parents' Visa was not ready the day before we were scheduled to fly out and ours was.  Theirs became ready 3 days later after due to many issues and incompetency with the DR Consulate in Toronto, Canada.  My parents arrived in the DR and then sent their passports and shipping fees to our lawyer in SD to send back to Canada for their stamp and the consulate then returned the passports with Visa to our lawyer.  My parents were supposed to pay the $15000 pesos fee (per person) for not entering the DR with the Visa in person (irregular visa).  (However my parents chose to stop the process because the DR Consulate made a grave error when stamping their documents by accidentally put the wrong name on the documents and they would have had to return to Canada to redo their fingerprints for police clearance a couple of the other documents). 

The bigger problem when starting the process here is that you would need your medical done by your doctor in your own country, as well as your fingerprints for your police clearance in your own country and many other documents that need to be done in person.   The process is difficult enough starting it at home with document authentications/legalizations,  etc.