Teaching in Kuwait

Hey 👋

I have been offered a teaching job in salmiya, before accepting the contract I was just wondering if anyone could help me. I'm originally from the UK.

I know very little about Kuwait and was hoping someone would be able to help me.

It sounds like there isn't much to do outside working hours?
What is it like to work in an international school?

Is there any teachers who are/ have taught in Kuwait that could give me some sort of insight into what I should expect.
I'm very outgoing and wanting to know if people are friendly? Is it easy to make friends who are wanting to do whatever outside work ?
I'm into fitness but love my food! What are the restaurants like ? I know it's a dry country but is there things to do in the evenings? I really don't want to get there and find because it is small I'll be bored.

Any information on the lifestyle/ country would be much appreciated ☺️

Thanks in advance!

Meg!

Hello meg

Im kuwaiti citizen and i work as accountant at government, and u might say that my openion not fair but still i will give my advice any way .... during this bandamic things change very much not only at kuwait but all around the world so now edication been made as online with apps like teams and so on ... we have five days of working days from sunday throw thuresday from 7 am till 3 pm... and after work can enjoy going to malls and resturants and gym , the good thing of salmiya its very close to sea side and u can enjoy ur time there ... at kuwait the most people are friendly and nice so u have no worry ... if u been offered job just be sure of how much the salary and what are the other benifit u get as health insurance + offering the resedence etc....

I hope this answer most of ur quistions and u r welcome to ask any thing else 😉

Bottom line up front:
There are a few one-time activities to do and then you may get bored. But if you like malls and restaurants, and can get a good social group, you can have  good time in Kuwait.  If you'd like a new experience, I'd say do it for 2 to 3 years and make friends fast to make it fun. And remember, you are experiencing another world.

Lookup: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions … _City.html

DETAILS:
I lived and worked in Kuwait for 3 years from 2017 to 2020 right before the pandemic.
Disclaimers and perspective:
-Not a teacher.
-Worked as a U.S. Contractor on a military base.
-Ate out a lot.
-Did some activities (Beach, diving, boating, events, tours, go-carting, Escape room, Camel races)
- I didn't make a lot of Kuwait friends (although I had some college buddies). But I had friends who did and they enjoyed their hospitality. So add that to the list.

Gyms: Can't say too much since I didn't use them, but I saw many gyms. I believe (someone correct me), the gyms are gender-based, except in the hotels where they have mixed gyms.

Pros:
- Many restaurants.  Good food. Both expensive and inexpensive. Heavy Lebanese, Turkish influence, but also many international chain restaurants and Indian restaurants.  A few Thai/Korean/Chinese/Sushi restaurants. So, there is good selection. I favored the smaller inexpensive restaurants.  (https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants … _City.html)
- Large expat community.
- Some social groups get together and explore activities in Kuwait (Go-carting, cultural tours like visit the Grand mosque, museums, etc.  Outdoor activities like ATVs, boating, diving, Escape Rooms, old style Al Mubarakiya market, some touristy stuff like towers, camel races, desert camping/hangouts/BBQ, Friday brunch at a restaurant, I once went to a dance competition and film festival, etc.) Outdoor activities, you really need to find a group that is willing to do those things.  It gets HOT, and much of the year is uncomfortable outside.
- If you like malls and are ok with weekly visits to the mall, then you have a few good ones to visit and walk around, shop, eat. Movies.  I'm not a mall person, but I did enjoy a few visits to the malls in Kuwait. They are pretty nice.
- People are friendly. Males experience Kuwait a little differently than females. My wife visited and had many conversations with Kuwaiti women, whereas, I only spoke with male population.
- Very safe
- Health care is good. Get your dental work done there.

Cons:
- Many of the Kuwaitis have an Elitist culture. And many of the lower skilled labor and nomadic Bedoon are marginalized. Hurts to watch. But trying to understand the Kuwaiti mentality, imagine you have permanent guest running around your house all the time using your bathroom, kitchen, car, garage. You may feel entitled to have first privileges' to all amenities before the "guests."  Now expand that to driving, service in public spaces, access to bathrooms, shopping, etc. And there is an unspoken hierarchy to discrimination. (my perspective).  Also translates to housing access; some places only have openings for westerners, or Kuwaitis, while other places are open.
- Many blue collar expats work long hours and don't have time or money for a lot of extra-curricular activities.  That diminishes your social circles in the Expat community,  But if you are open to meeting a diverse group, there are still a lot of things you can do and learn with the full expat community; cultural exchange.  See demographics: https://worldpopulationreview.com/count … population
- Once you do the one-time activities, there is not much else to do except malls and restaurants.
- Movies are censored, even Disney kissing scenes are censored in the cinema. (think kissing scene in "How to train your Dragon" ... censored). And they are quite LOUD.  I still enjoyed the movies. (Interesting fact: the seating is arranged by Bachelors only section or Females and Family section).
- Driving is a little wild if you are not used to it. I kinda enjoyed it, but I grew up in Africa and had a large SUV vehicle in Kuwait; THAT made a difference on the road. Fast lane is too fast and slow lane is too slow. Nobody is driving the speed limit. Either above or below.
- As you mentioned, it's a dry country. 

CON/PRO ... Depends on you:
If open to meet a diverse expat community, then meet some Asians, other middle-eastern folks, Africans, Pacific Islanders and have a few activities within those circles outside of only western friends (US, Europe, Australia). Understand that some have a much tougher experience due to less skilled background and so be ready to scale back those experiences to small parties, hookah lounges, small outings, mall visits.

Last note:
I hear that COVID has changed a lot of stuff in Kuwait.  Hopefully with vaccines, things return to normal.

Also checkout: http://desertgirlkuwait.blogspot.com/

Thank you so much ☺️ this has helped massively, it's good to have an insight into what to expect! I'm looking forward to experiencing a completely new way of life!

Hey. Are you still in Kuwait?
Ive just been offered a job as a teacher and i start in January.
How are you finding kuwait?

It's completely different then the Western world. All empathy is gone here. If you like cats I would recommend getting yourself "turned off". You will have to become more cold then you realize.

Hello, I'm Ian Alube from Kenya. I liked how you responded and advised that teacher concerning his stay and enjoyment in Kuwait.
However, I would like to know how I can get a job in Kuwait without applying through local agents here in Kenya. Or if you can connect me with the relevant guys on matters to do with Insurance. Please advice.
Thanks in advance.

Before you commit to anything, do your research. I do STRONGLY  suggest you join International School Review - check both the reviews on the school, and then go in the forums to check out what is said about Kuwait itself as a country.

Schools in Kuwait are just a business, NOTHING AND ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE - any school of any nationality, whether English, American, Canadian or anything else - once it's private, they are only in there for the money. Many times they are run by managements that are NOT educators - if you are an educator, you will enjoy teaching and the classroom, and not becomes an ass Head and Head to get out of the class as fast as possible. Covid has also induced all of the lot into a money grabbing frenzy, without a shred of humanity or emphaty towards students, moreover their staff that are overworked to the bone without any guidance.

You can always go there, have it on your CV, and get out of there as soon as you can if you want to.  Or stay as long as you want to boost  your finances. Important attitude is that you go there and be your own master - ready to get out when and how you want, and not held hostage by managments. NMarcia gave  you a highly accurate and detailed review of Kuwait itself and not much more to add, though it has to be pointed out that is a dry country, so don't expect a drink anywhere, and I would avoid the local brew. It's guaranteed to burn your kidneys. Kuwait is a country you can enjoy if you have the correct attitude, and life is what you make it in the end. You can be in NYC, Beijing, or Bankok, and you can still be unhappy.

Let us know your final decision, and whatever it may be, good luck to you.