Understanding the concept of Wasta in Kuwait

Hark Expats of Kuwait! lend me your ears.

Since Kuwait was placed on the map and expats first started making their way over to this desert oasis, one single arabic word was immediately etched into the minds of all expats, and that word is "Wasta".

For those that do not know, Wasta is the colloquial term for nepotism or favoritism, everyone is under the impression that you need wasta to do ANYTHING in Kuwait.

Lets be clear on one thing: Wasta is NOT only in Kuwait, it exists all over the world where people play the "I-Know-So-&-So" card or "I-am-so-&-so's-relative".

I had a friend of mine (Canadian) who was visiting Kuwait for the first time, she got in trouble with a Kuwaiti and was scared to death when the Kuwaiti threatened her with Wasta (apparently unaware that people like to boast a lot here), she was scared for her life and took the other woman to the police station, as she explained her fear, the Policeman was quick to dismiss it as irrational citing that we do not live in a lawless country.

And here is proof:

KUWAIT CITY, Jan 15: An actress whose identity has not been disclosed, has been arrested and detained at the Sulaibiya Police Station, reports Al-Rai daily.

The daily quoting security sources said when an unidentified personality tried to intervene on behalf of the actress to seek her release, Director-General of the Jahra Governorate Major-General Ibrahim Al-Tarrah refused to bow to pressure.

The daily added the actress was arrested last Thursday for what it called ‘misusing' her cell phone.
She was initially released on bail but when the authorities discovered there were other charges against her the bail was rejected.

It has been reported the passport and personal documents of the actress have been impounded by the General Immigration Department for violating what it called residence laws.

So a message to all expats, please do not be under the impression that wasta runs the country, it does not :)

Have a nice day!

allow me to ask what kind of violation might someone do with his cellphone :)
could you create a new topic of to do not to do list in kuwait !

Thanks in advance

probably taking pictures of women in the bathroom or something?

She needs help to pay her cell bill or what Hahaha.

hahaha Gosh am excited in visiting this country funny stuff

comedy is my anti-drug :D

yes, Wasta has infiltrated the deepest levels of Kuwait, as with the world, a.k.a nepotism, it is the bane of all professionals. the free ride for the undeserving. what to do?

nono so ...!!