Unmarried couples living together in Kuwait

Hello,

My boyfriend and I have both been offered contracts in Kuwait from different companies. We are not married, nor do we intend to in the near future.

My company has offered me housing included in my salary, therefore, my boyfriend would like to live with me. I told them we are married, so it is not a problem for them.

My question is, will they at some point ask for authentication of our "marriage"? Second, although I know it is technically illegal to live together unmarried, how often are punishments for foreigners actually imposed?

Your insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
-M

it depends on who your landlord is; in terms of punishment, at most they will evict you. however, if your company is providing the flat, then it could also affect your work. technically, technically, you are lying on your job application, and that is grounds for dismissal. if you tell em ur married, when it comes to writing the lease they will request the marriage certificate, if u dont provide it, the landlord will inform the company that you have a male in your apartment, and you are not married.

the above scenario is one of many that "could" happen.

keep in mind that Kuwait is a Muslim country, not as strict as Saudi Arabia and also not as lax as UAE.

thats my 2 Cents worth from examples i've seen.

Maybe to be safe go to Cyprus and get a civil marriage and have a prenuptial agreement set up so that both parties are safe

thank you vry much "legacy" for your inputs.I am an indian and have planned for the same, cz me n my girlfriend have got a job at the same company.now i think its better to carry legal marriage document to avoid any disturbance further..

Some landlords do not ask for a marriage certificate, some do, the same with companies. Some people just call their partner their spouse and wear a ring and no-one knows any better. In Kuwait they are used to married couples having different names so that is not an issue but if you wish to book a hotel room you will need to produce a marriage certificate.:/

thank you again for the inputs...