Call Center in Mauritius

Hi, I'm currently in Manila PHilippines right now, I have an offer to be an office manager in MU, I would like to know how Call centers like there.. are there a lot of call centers there? and how much do a manager gets monthly.. thanks..

Hi and welcome on board Chantal :)

Indeed call centers have been growing like mushrooms these past few years in Mauritius so we could easily say that there are a lot now. As for your question about what they are like and how much do they pay for an office manager really depends on the company in my opinion. Investors come from around the world (mainly Europe) and each one is different from the other.
Maybe you could tell us a little more about your future company?

Regards
Armand

it's more of support type, for medical products in the U.S.
i think it just started last 2009 or 2010, and theyre growing. now he offered me 45000 Rs monthly and accomodation, he said the unit costs 4500Rs monthly, and i wonder how the apartment looks like

Hi Chantal

Actually Rs45,000 is the basic required for an expat to live here, legally the employer cannot pay you less than that. Now for accomodation Rs4500 seems very low, in which area is it located??? Usually expats here pay between Rs18,000 to Rs50,000 in accommodation.

Maybe you can ask your employer to keep the accomodation flexible, in case you don't like the place, and how about transportation? Any car for you?

Hope i've been helpful and oh i worked in a call centre before in the project department, but its a french one so maybe not the same operations as an US one.

Zeina

I think the companay is offering you sharing accomodation. If you dont like it then there are few Filipino families staying in Mauritius. I suggest , you try and find some sharing accomodation with them.

Terence

hi terrence and zeina.. thank u very much.. i am not really sure about how the apartment looks like, he said that he will be providing a unit worth 4500 rs, fully furnished w/ a/c.. 18000? thats the rental costs usually?
Car.. uhm i dont think he will be providing a car for me, since he said that they have a shuttle during odd hours.. so meaning i will take the bus going to work at daytime.. and the salary of 45000 Rs.. would that be enough?

its nice that there are filipinos there... i would love to meet people from my country when i get there.. thanks for the info

yeah its true most call centres have pick-ups for the staff, probably its shared accomodation, maybe you can ask them.

as for your salary, it depends wat kind of lifestyle you have :p for mauritian standards its good, for expats it depends :p

Hi Chantal

i believe to start with 45000 is a decent amount for a single person

as far as accomodation is concerned a decent accomodation fully furnished apt for a simple person wud be under 10k for sure....

there is no high limit but between 7-8k believe me u will get a very very good apt. if u r lucky.. and it clicks..

as zeina said it depends for your salary i guess to start with its good .. fair enough..

if u get car its wow

else u can buy after landing in few months... as public transport is nt really gr8 here..

cheers

Vish

hi zeina and vishalchandna, that's what i worry most about, the transpo and apt.. if u say shared? meaning i will get my room? but i have to share the whole house w/ others?or the room itself will be shared?
uhm.. about the salary, u know i can live a simple life, i just want to save money for my family back home.. :)

for the accomodation you better ask the company, but for that low a rent there's a pretty big chance its shared accomodation, your room + shared facilities... to be sure just ask them ...

if a simple life you are looking at then your salary is good enough :) just maybe if you do not want to buy a car, maybe allocate some funds for renting a car, on a long term basis you might get a good chance, as vishal said the public transport isnt great here :(

i see, i cant buy a car since i dont have the means to do so... and ive read that car rental costs 10000 up.. but since the transpo's not good..i will be looking for rentals ofcourse..

yeah better you are here chantal and you can decide better :)

10,000 for rental be good deal usually is between 25euro to 50 euro a day. Ask for a company car, also fuel isnt that cheap over here, make sure location from the apart to work place isnt that far else u looking for big expense on fuel

i see, thanks for the info Mahebourg!!
great help guys!

by law, companies have to provide their staff with transportation to and from the place of employment.  this can be in either the form of the equivalent bus fare paid to you ahead of time or by providing a company van/bus that would pick you and other staff up and drop you  off.

the company has to provide either a taxi or van ride to and from your home if it is after hours and there is no public bus transportation available.

you can rent a scooter for about 2,000 3,000 rupees per month.  cars will usually be at least 10,000 for an older car about 10 years old.  Brand new or only a couple years old cars will rent for about 15,000 rupees per month.

Housing varies by a great amount depending on where it's located and the type.  i know of brand new two bedroom apartments that were quite nice and fully furnished in Grand Bay in a pretty convenient location that were offered for 10,000 rupees per month.  I also knew of some decent 2 bedroom apartments in Trou aux Biche that were available for about 8,000 rupees per month.

Small houses / duplex homes that are a bit farther removed from the main towns / beaches can be had for around 5,000 rupees per month as well.  if you are willing to sacrifice size, location and having something brand new (whether furniture or the home itself) then there are plenty of options around the island.  your best bet is to avoid the estate agents and use a local person's help if possible as they will be able to get a better deal for you.

chantal_ wrote:

its nice that there are filipinos there... i would love to meet people from my country when i get there.. thanks for the info

Hi,

Are you here now! Would be interesting to chat with a Filipino in Mauritius. I'm here in holidays