Expat Salaries

Can the local Mauritius companies offer similar salaries as the South African companies.The Mau salary guide says It manager earn 60 000 Mau. In SA you can earn 180 000 Mau and living costs are lower.

The Maur. companies could offer any salary above the salary guide. However, salaries as with a number of expenses incurred by companies are subject to supply and demand. If there are IT Mngmnt skills available in Mauritius at R's 60K then the companies would surely hire those people.

It will depend on the industry sector, management level and experience, but 180,000 MUR per month as a basic salary is very high.  Many local managers earn 50,000 - 70,000 MUR per month.  Senior managers in larger companies will earn more 90,000++ MUR.

Do remember that you also need to check what is in the total package (e.g. car allowance, company bonus, meal allowance, etc.) and that you will receive a 13th month payment in December (pro rata if someone starts part-way through the year.

The median for an international IT manager is US$145 000, so you should be getting paid a lot more than MUR180 000...

Did you end up taking the job?

KwaggaRSA wrote:

The median for an international IT manager is US$145 000, so you should be getting paid a lot more than MUR180 000...

In which country?

USA, not Mauritius, but there is a lot of space between the amounts indicated, so negotiations need to be robust.

KwaggaRSA wrote:

LOL

It's rather the CEO or the General Manager who earns MUR 180,000 or more, not the IT manager.

An expat CEO for MUR180k a month? Unlikely.

Not all expats who come to MUR will head Mauritius Telecom or the largest bank on the island and expect to earn in millions a month.

In fact, most expats CEOs today are in the public sector and middle-size private IT and finance companies where the salary grid is way less.

That is true.

Good executive, and CEOs, get paid by global standards in order to attract them, so one needs to look at global benchmarks when determining packages.

CEOs tend to earn between 150 and 300 times what the average worker earns.

How much more expensive would you say Mauritius is than South Africa, Winston?

My take is about 35%, but some put it at 25% and some 60%

LeRouxExpats wrote:

Can the local Mauritius companies offer similar salaries as the South African companies.The Mau salary guide says It manager earn 60 000 Mau. In SA you can earn 180 000 Mau and living costs are lower.

Here are some international benchmarks to give you a starting point.

Clearly, local supply and demand will have an influence on the going rate.

https://www1.salary.com/IT-Manager-Salaries.html

Here is some CEO bench marking. As above, local variances will apply, but this gives an indication of the kind of range a CEO expects to be trading in.

https://www1.salary.com/Chief-Executive … alary.html

Mauritius and local companies in general are not looking to attract the best CEOs to squander money on colossal packages.
They just want someone who fits the job profile corresponding to their local/regional strategy and permits are usually granted for the time it will take for a transfer of knowledge to a local who will eventually take over. This is happening in the hospitality industry where once expats were in the overwhelming majority but the where tide has changed in the last ten years.

Squander may not be the correct term, but I get what you are saying.

Hello Everybody,
I'm Aniket from India, currently working in Nigeria. I'm getting job offer in Mauritius as an Agronomist. Currently I'm working in Nigeria as a Production Manager, with basic salary more than $1200 + Accommodation + Food+ car + Local salary. If shifting to Mauritius, how much salary should I ask to company for better living. Please guys help me out with this subject.

Good day.

Thank you,

Aniket

So you are getting 2 salaries : basic and local
what are the differences?

Hi External

In this instance the basic salary is in usd and will therefore be paid into a foreign currency account. Usually these are held offshore / in another jurisdiction. Local salary will be in NGN and will be paid into a local bank account. This salary structure is typically associated with expats who will use the local salary for day to day living expenses and the basic salary for maintaining their house / savings in their home country.

Thanks.
Absolutely right.
Basic salary is completely saving.
Local salary is for telephone bill, food, etc

SamanthaRamloll wrote:

Hi External

In this instance the basic salary is in usd and will therefore be paid into a foreign currency account. Usually these are held offshore / in another jurisdiction. Local salary will be in NGN and will be paid into a local bank account. This salary structure is typically associated with expats who will use the local salary for day to day living expenses and the basic salary for maintaining their house / savings in their home country.

Txs
I was aware of that for the oil/Gas industry expats ( especially in KSA and Algeria ) as well as those who don't bring wife /family for their missions in some dangerous and 'hard to live" countries