Setting up Bar/Restaurant in Mauritius?

Those living at Mauritius, any hints and tips about the subject? I would like to know is there some special issues, and if this is good or bad idea?

I'm long-time professional in bar management industry, looking to relocate due health issues.

Hi there, me and a SA expat were actually thinking about the same thing. We work in the financial industry and we have some contacts with high net worth individuals. So we're thinking about starting a bar/restaurant in the north. We do have some new ideas on doing something different from the other bars to provide better experience to the tourists as well as the locals.

If you're interested, we can discuss more. Are you in Mauritius?

Cheers
Richard

Actaully,i am looking for someone like you,as i have idea but as am not in the industry so we can do it together,i have already located a good tourist spot,so maybe we shall meet to discuss things further

I'm currently living in Finland, and I am looking for various options to relocate. At the moment I'm looking for preliminary information, what would help me to narrow down my search.

I need to look for locations at Mauritius where travel agents are sending groups from Finland, and perhaps take short scouting trip myself. I do have studied loads of information on Internet, about setting up business in Mauritius as foreigner etc...

i suppose better get your plane ticket and find accommodation on your own as it normally works out cheaper
try (moderated: no ads please) they might help in accommodation,airport transfer,setting up business and more services

Hi, everyone. I am thinking about exactly the same thing. I only have a limited experience in this industry (3,5 year of running a Cafe in UK, and being assistant restaurant manager part time). but I can bring considerable amount of cash with me;). I was thinking about buying an already established restaurant, possibly franchise in US, but just recently discovered Mauritius as an option, so If anyone has an offer for me and want to "take me on board" please contact me via this forum. Cheers

Hi!
this idea of opening a bar in Mauritius, did become reality? if anyone read this, I am also interested of one bussiness like this.i have lots of information about what is neeed to opening a bar-restaurant in maurtitius, the laws, etc.

regards,

Hello
Am very much interested with your idea, and if you want to go forward we can discuss

Hi,  me too was thinking same and if you are still interested do let me know

Hi there, my partner and I are both from South Africa and we are looking to relocate to Mauritius around May/June this year. We are looking to open up a bar/restaurant. Any tips that could be shared?

Hi, Chelsee, did you get any help?

Hi All,
If anyone is interested I have just purchased a small plot of land located on the Sea Front in Trou-Aux-Biches (highly commercial part) and I am erecting a small building on it.

As some may know, Trou-aux-Biches was voted "Best Beach Destination in the World" at the World Travel Awards 2011.

The ground floor is perfect for something like a Coffee House, Bar/Restaurant etc. The first floor will have an external stairway and can also be a Bar/Restaurant. The toilets and other facilities will be placed in the basement.

Total Sq Metres area (basement, ground and 1st floor.. all sea front) would be approx 300 sq mtrs. There is a road between the sea and the building and the sea is approx 15 metres away from the front of the proposed building.

The proposed building will have an elevator and there will be 8 large rooms for rent as a "Guesthouse". All rooms have balconies with full frontal sea front view of the entire bay.

If anyone abroad is interested in this project, maybe financing, renting, joint venture etc, please reply with your details.

Thanks

Dhiruj Rambaran

hi, can you send me more details please ...
thanks

Hi there,

I haven't received any feedback as of yet. Our plan is still to relocate in June and hopefully get started with the bar/restaurant shortly after.

The bar / restaurant business might meet some administrative hurdles. You have to make sure that you are bringing an innovative idea, not the common bar / restaurant that would compete with locals. Minimum investment would need to be USD100,000 (I don't think this is a problem with a decent project though).

Permit or Letter of Intent to be obtained from Tourism Authority and liquor license with the Mauritius Revenu Authority.  Once letter of Intent is obtained, you can apply for an investor permit. The Tourism Authority advises that no investment be made until and unless you have their Letter of Intent in your hands.

I just thought useful to bring this information to those who are about to spend the money.

Hello I just read your post and am here trying to invest in such a business I hope to bring English breakfast to Mauritius I love live music and have been singer for years And my dream is to sing at my own place can we chat some more about what you are purposing thank you hayley

Hello,

Are you still seeking someone to rent the downstairs for a restaurant set up in Mauritius?

Stormtrooper wrote:

Hi All,
If anyone is interested I have just purchased a small plot of land located on the Sea Front in Trou-Aux-Biches (highly commercial part) and I am erecting a small building on it.

As some may know, Trou-aux-Biches was voted "Best Beach Destination in the World" at the World Travel Awards 2011.

The ground floor is perfect for something like a Coffee House, Bar/Restaurant etc. The first floor will have an external stairway and can also be a Bar/Restaurant. The toilets and other facilities will be placed in the basement.

Total Sq Metres area (basement, ground and 1st floor.. all sea front) would be approx 300 sq mtrs. There is a road between the sea and the building and the sea is approx 15 metres away from the front of the proposed building.

The proposed building will have an elevator and there will be 8 large rooms for rent as a "Guesthouse". All rooms have balconies with full frontal sea front view of the entire bay.

If anyone abroad is interested in this project, maybe financing, renting, joint venture etc, please reply with your details.

Thanks

Dhiruj Rambaran

Are you still looking for a restaurant to occupy the space as per this post?

Dhiruj, Good luck with your project.

Cheers
Gawesh

Hi

I am currently living in Melbourne Australia. I run my own cafe business here. I have been in the industry for about 4 years. Would like to relocate and do something similar there. Are you still looking for people to join you in your venture?

Also, I'll be visiting Mauritius end of February.

I have one interesting space in a major building in Ebene.

It's a roof top and the building tenants are eagerly waiting for someone to open a cafe / restaurant there. Building also hosts the University of Mauritius, call centres...13 floor building, 95% occupied. Parking space and next to a major commercial centerpoint.

Hi Nadeem,

Thanks for responding. Can you please send me details of the shop. Land size, some photos and also the monthly rent + outgoings.

Hi there,
I am also agreeable with Nadeem, as I work at the University of Mauritius just merely the same building that he is referring to and let me add that you must hurry, since the University is also lacking proper catering, which might end up in launch of bids for an eventual catering/cafeteria there.
The market is really very interesting with 10 normal classes of around 30 to 50 students and 5 large cohort classes ( 40 to 60 students) that rotate daily for 3 daily full-time lectures until 16.00 and then part-time students take over until 18.00 hrs.

Additionally, an Auditorium has recently (2 months ago) been inaugurated (around 500 seats ) and latest technologies to cater for events both by the University and external customers.

Also, there are commissioned programmes currently being run for the Mauritius Police Force for around 360 police officers - who attend two classes of 2 hrs from monday to saturday in batches of 60 everyday, but sit for exams together every twice a year.

There are plans for future other commissioned programmes as well for this year.
So one can very well calculate the market size, with only one direct competitor - the foodcourt just opposite the building at the InterMart shopping mall, which is kind of too small to cater for customers at peak time.

However, Nadeem can also agree with me that there is a very large ground level still vacant with all facades made of glass structures, which suggests a very nice structure for a food court or cafe/restaurant - but bear in mind that alcoholic products will be banned because of an educational environment and also it has been proclaimed a NO-SMOKING Zone.

If anyone is interested, I can provide you with the plans of the property. you can search for The Core Building at EBENE on google maps, just opposite the Intermart Shopping Mall.

I have been working in the Procurement section at the University and am very conversant with requirements and details of financial issues regarding bidding for cafeteria at the UoM.

So feel free to contact me if ever anyone of you or all of you join hands and decide to set up a joint venture, which might be a very interesting project, for implementing to other regions/universities across the island. I can also help out in eventual conceptualization of your project as I have both construction and  safety and health backgrounds.

Wish you best of luck.
veekram

Can you please send me your contact details.. I'll send all information

That's far more a structured 'selling argument'.
In fact I'm in contact with the building owners and they have asked me to look for a suitable tenant.

What I'm offering, additionally (and since it is my expertise), is the full legal set-up, permits, immigration procedures as well as project management for physical set-up / operations of the restaurant. Our recruitment agency will also cater for staffing.

I have owed restaurants for over 40 years .. (London and Cape Town)  .. it is a very tough business and so important that EVERY aspect of the business ... is "done " correctly ... all on this thread ... please .. all .. tread very carefully .

Hello Nadeem,

Can i get a contact number for the space to rent at Ebene or an email adresse where i can contact you for more information.

Hi Dhiruj, I eould be interested to partner in such project. Let's get in touch.

Kevin

@Stormtrooper

Hello Yuvraj,

Welcome to expat.com!

Do you have any questions that you might want to ask on the forum?

Cheers,

Yoginee

Expat.com team

Hi, did anyone finally opened the bar/resto?

I'm thinking to open a coffee shop on the beach, in the north but i don't have the experience...

I would like to open a business so I can relocate to Mauritius.

I live in Italy now.

@Nancyy1

Hello, I am in the process of setting up a restaurant bar in partnership with a local Mauritian friend.

As I travel often, it is much easier to have someone in Mauritius handling the paperwork and liason with all the contractors.

Getting the permits does require some work and owning commercial property as a foreigner does require government approvals.

Best of luck in your endeavours.

Cheers,

John

Hello Mr john..

Am kevin from grand baie...

23yr in restauration in club med villages.

If ever you are interested we cam get in contact and continue the proposal for futher discusion ...

For all permit , for the building etc ... i cam find the best place here in mauritius ..

Please do let me know if you got someone in mauritiis or not..

Thanks

Kevin

From mauritius islanf

@Nancyy1

Hi Nancyy..

Am kevin from mauritius living in the north of mauritius (grand bay)

If ever that still interess you just live your contact number i will contact you by whatsup..

Thanks

Kevin

@Mikki

Hello Mikk

am kevin from mauritius 23yr in restauration industry (Royal palm hotel , trou aux biches hotel  , club med villages albion , p.a.c plus club med 2  boat )

If ever you have any quary you can live your contact i will get into touch with you..

Thanks

Kevin