English teaching jobs

I am  a 24 yr old british male. Im about to do a tefl or Celta course (undecided which one yet) and im interested in finding teaching english posts in s/e asia particularly Vietnam or Cambodia.

I have read alot online that to teach in Vietnam you will require a bachelors degree at minimum but on my travels around vietnam I have met at least 10 people that teach there and do not hold degrees of any sort; just a tefl/celta course.

I was wondering where to look for jobs in vietnam which dont require a degree. I have heard that for people without degrees looking to find work it would be easier to find when you are physically there by handing out cv's etc face to face?

is this true? where is the best place to seek advice on the most effective ways of finding work for inexperienced teachers that hold a tefl/celta but do not hold a degree. Im willing to volunteer to get my teaching experience up and would also be grateful for any guidance on the best places/schools that allow volunteers to get a first hand experience of teaching!

thank you.

JudeMalone wrote:

I have read alot online that to teach in Vietnam you will require a bachelors degree at minimum but on my travels around vietnam I have met at least 10 people that teach there and do not hold degrees of any sort; just a tefl/celta course.

Welcome on board, JudeMalone :)

I wonder if any of those 10 people you met in VN is working with a valid WP and work visa or just working with a tourist/business visa.
Did you ask them this question?
If they are working without a WP, I'm afraid that's illegal in Vietnam.

The mandatory requirement of a degree to get a teaching job is one minimum requirement set by the Govt. for candidates willing to obtain a Work Permit and work legally as an English teacher in Vietnam.

If you choose to work without  a WP, you run the risk of being fined and deported.

Let's wait and see what the English teachers on this forum have to say about it.

On a positive note, you will find plenty of opportunities for volunteering, especially in the provincial towns.

All the best!

In relation to WP's, the short answer is that most schools won't go through the dramas of applying for one. I would say at least 80% of people working  language centres don't have a WP.