Apply for Work permit but have no Bachelor or Master degree

Hi everyone,

My husband (a Kiwi) recently got a job and was asked to provide a Bachelor or Master degree in order for the company to get the Work permit for him. My husband has yet to complete his degree since he's been working full time all these years and finishing his study is not the priority. He did make it clear with the company from the start that he hasn't got any degree.                               

Has anyone got any similar experience or advice for us in this situation? The job is really great and I think it's such a shame if because of a minor problem that my husband cannot continue working.

Thank you,

If your husband can show references from employers for 5 years experience in the same field of work,he should be able to obtain a work permit. You should contact a lawyer who works in that area and just clarify this. The laws changed a few years ago in relation to work experience for WP's.

Ms. Thuy, you did not tell us what industry or occupation your husband is employed in. 

In addition to the requirements on the worker's side, isn't there also a requirement that the employer demonstrate that there are no qualified Vietnamese available to take the job?  That may actually be the case with your husband's position, but they still have to go through the motions.  In the case of English teachers, being a native speaker is considered a unique qualification so the 5 year requirement is waived but the degree is generally not.  Of course there are ways around that with other jobs like advertising in obscure newspapers, just as is done for many H-1B visas in the US.   In Vietnam there are even more ways around the rules.

Thanks for your reply.

My husband's job is in food and beverage and he works as a sale rep for the company. On top of the selling skill, the position requires cooking experience, and someone who can speak Vietnamese.

Sounds like a combination of skills and experience that should be hard to find in one person.  Good luck on documenting the 5 years.  Failing that there is always the financial remuneration route as I am sure you are aware.

Questions and answers about the labor market

Ask your question
Looking for an English teacher to achieve IELTs
By Henrychen
Wanting to teach in VN when should I start looking?
By Nicolealex21
Vincent Bousquet
Starting Business
By Vincent Bousquet
Teaching English in Saigon
By watulloch
Toughest decision of my life
By Allanmta
Where is the filipino community in vietnam?
By Pinkixora

Expatriate health insurance in Saigon

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Saigon

Moving to Saigon

Find tips from professionals about moving to Saigon

Travel insurance in Saigon

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Saigon

Flights to Saigon

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Saigon