English teaching positions for unqualified native speakers usually get

Hi

I came out to Saigon and soon realised even with just a 20 hr TEFL and TEFL for dummies book that I received great feedback, performance is everything for many students and Vietnamese English teachers know grammar better than most native speakers.

Many schools are looking for a western face, and for the students to laugh and have fun.

So if you're keen to look into working in Saigon and are more of a performer than an enforcer of Shakespeare (think kids TV presenter style and charisma) and want some help finding good companies to contact for work just email me.

Cheers
Marc
[email protected]

Marc,

I believe you are right about this. I was asked by a friend, who teaches at VUS, to come out to her class so they could hear me speak. I'm a bit of a clown sometimes and had the class in stitches.

I was told the school wanted to hire me for 1 month, but never heard back from them.

I'd be interested in the info you have concerning other schools.

Rich

I met some of the products of one of these "teaching positions for unqualified native speakers" who had learned English that was book perfect.

Their grammar was similarly correct.

The trouble was that they were very 'monotonic' or 'flat' sounding. - in the same fashion as those VNese cartoons sound. Added to this limitation, they had little clue as to the meaning of the words they spoke. Their pronunciation of 'to' was no different to their version of 'too'.

Thanks to the generosity of KFC near the Turtle Pond in Q1, who never tossed us out as long as we bought something to drink, we used to hold one hour classes there most every night.

The first thing I insisted on was that each one buy a copy of the illustrated Oxford Press Vietnamese-English-Vietnamese that retails for VND120,000 odd (Minh Khai Bookstore).

The other instruction device were copies of a HCM English language newspaper.

Within a couple of months they were truly fluently bilingual and even knew of what they spoke.

Heading over next month with my CELTA so hope it really is that easy to get a job!!! :)

Hello Marc :)

can you still help me to find a job in international trade or teaching english/french in saigon district 1 ?

I want to live in HCM city with my vietnamese gf.

do you know how can i find easily a job as a foreigner?

thanks bro for your help :)

dear marc,

i wish please you could help me for finding interesting jobs in schools for teaching english or/and French. I am also motivated for working in any type of NGO looking for employees even in the countryside of the south of vietnam.

I will be very grateful to hear from you. keep in touch,

bdeveron wrote:

dear marc,

i wish please you could help me for finding interesting jobs in schools for teaching english or/and French. I am also motivated for working in any type of NGO looking for employees even in the countryside of the south of vietnam.

I will be very grateful to hear from you. keep in touch,

Here are the links I think it would be helpful for you to look for a real job in Viet Nam if you want to seek online.
http://www.monster.com.vn/http://www.jobstreet.vn/en/http://www.vietnamworks.com/enhttp://hrvietnam.com/en/search-job.html
Those websites are the ones where Vietnamese often seek new jobs. Hope you can get a good job and also good salary over here. Welcome to Viet Nam!

Dear,

Im Johan from Belgium and stay at the moment in HCM. Im doing volunteer at an orphanage and going back to Belgium beginning of august. However my plan is to look for a job and stay at Vietnam. As i see u can help to find some good compagny's?

Kind regards

It depends on if you are looking for a permanent, legal job or one just to make a few bucks until something else comes by.

As of May, you must have a degree in order to teach English. Without a degree you can't get a work permit. You may be able to find a job in one of the smaller centers, but it won't be legal. I work for 2 of them. They are very decent and hard working. They care about teaching but are finding it hard to recruit Native Speakers that they can afford.

doctorhands wrote:

As of May, you must have a degree in order to teach English.

In which year? It's been that way for a good few years now.

And as always there are exceptions, if you have 5 years experience it can be waived, but it's getting it verified that's often the issue.

I don't teach, nor do I have a degree, but I have a work permit due to my experience and other qualities.

The blog post was written yesterday, so obviously the end of May means This year. The law no longer allows you to substitute experience. You must have a degree or no work permit. You may have a permit now, but chances are it won't get renewed, if they are paying attention.

doctorhands wrote:

The blog post was written yesterday, so obviously the end of May means This year.

This is the internet, your replying to a post several months old. I learnt a long time ago, that nothing is obvious on here.

doctorhands wrote:

The law no longer allows you to substitute experience.

You have a link or the decree to back this up? I'd be interested in reading it.

I know quite a few people that it will affect.

Point taken on the timing issue.

I don't have the decree number. I read about it in one of the English Dailies I get.

I have come to Saigon to get a job teaching English. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
My only qualification is a 140 hour TEFL certificate. Thanks in advance.

Hello mnsexacta -> Do not hesitate to post an advert in the Jobs in Saigon section. :)

Thank you,
Aurélie