Explore Mauritian Cuisine

Hi all,

I'm basically a food lover. Recently I met a french guy who's been living here since 7 years now. We spoke a lot about all the "snacks" (small mauritian restaurants) around the island.
I guess the best way to know the people of any country is to eat something local with the locals.
So if anyone's up for a dinner, let's do it!

Hi tees,

They say that to understand a culture you need to taste it! Are you here for holidays or for good? I know quite some good places to try authentic Mauritian food, specially in the North. Let me know if you need a clue on that.

A good place to start your gastronomic tour is Port Louis Grand Bazaar and its surroundings, where you'll find everything from pastry and alouda for breakfast to roti or boulettes for lunch.

Then, I recommend head to the little coastal restaurants where the catch of the day is prepared your way... in a traditional rougaille, a Mauritian curry sauce or the traditional garlic and butter. Don't miss the unbeatable curry of chicken with potatoes (carri poulet pomme de terre) and the octopus curry (carri ourite) - Our favorites.

My water is mouthering! Bon appétit!